Installation & Licensing

Reply
Member
tdebolt
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-11-2002
Message 1 of 6 (130 Views)

AdLM w/WinNT server and pre-existing workstations?

130 Views, 5 Replies
06-18-2001 04:26 AM
Our network administrator had recently installed the AdLM on our WinNT server. Before we start to use it...what, exactly, do we have to do to all of our individual machines before we can use the AdLM?

Each AutoCAD user currently has the program loaded on his/her computer. Do we need to change a setting at each station so that we can use the AdLM? Does the acad.exe need to be put on the server?

Any advice?
*Nehls, Kevin
Message 2 of 6 (130 Views)

Re: AdLM w/WinNT server and pre-existing workstations?

06-18-2001 04:36 AM in reply to: tdebolt
You need to talk with your VAR about getting a network version of AutoCAD.
There is usually a charge that goes along with converting standalone
licenses to network licenses.

HTH
--
Kevin Nehls


"tdebolt" wrote in message
news:f05bcd8.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Our network administrator had recently installed the AdLM on our WinNT
server. Before we start to use it...what, exactly, do we have to do to all
of our individual machines before we can use the AdLM?
Member
tdebolt
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-11-2002
Message 3 of 6 (130 Views)

Re:

06-18-2001 05:18 AM in reply to: tdebolt
We already did that, AND we've edited the autoexec.bat file on ONE workstation (as an experiment) to reflect the exact server.

What else are we not doing?
*Nehls, Kevin
Message 4 of 6 (130 Views)

Re:

06-18-2001 06:28 AM in reply to: tdebolt
Now that you have the Network license (it's a different serial number than
the standalone licenses), you have to create a deployment on the network,
then uninstall Acad from the workstations and reinstall Acad from the
network deployment.

To create a deployement on the network (I suggest using a Client deployment)
browse the AutoCAD CD to the Netsetup directory and execute the Netsetup.exe
file in that directory. There are several different options that you have,
the best place to learn about these is in the AutoCAD help file. Look under
the "Installing and Using AutoCAD on a Network" under the "Installation
Guide" section.

HTH
--
Kevin Nehls


"tdebolt" wrote in message
news:f05bcd8.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> We already did that, AND we've edited the autoexec.bat file on ONE
workstation (as an experiment) to reflect the exact server.
> What else are we not doing?
>
>
*Burgasser, Drew
Message 5 of 6 (130 Views)

Re: AdLM w/WinNT server and pre-existing workstations?

06-18-2001 06:39 AM in reply to: tdebolt
Tdebolt:

You said that each AutoCAD user currently has the program loaded. Was the
program loaded at each station using setup.exe from the root of the AutoCAD
cd-rom? Or did you set up a network deployment location and load the
software from the deployment location?

If the answer to the first question is yes and the second question is no,
you have to uninstall AutoCAD from each station, create a network
deployment, and install AutoCAD on each station from the network deployment
location. Quite a pain, but that's what you have to do. This scenario is
assuming that AutoCAD will be installed locally at each station (as opposed
to running AutoCAD from a network server).

Good luck,

Drew Burgasser
CAD Masters, Inc.
www.cadmasters.com




"tdebolt" wrote in message
news:f05bcd8.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
Our network administrator had recently installed the AdLM on our WinNT
server. Before we start to use it...what, exactly, do we have to do to all
of our individual machines before we can use the AdLM?
Each AutoCAD user currently has the program loaded on his/her computer. Do
we need to change a setting at each station so that we can use the AdLM?
Does the acad.exe need to be put on the server?
Any advice?
*Nehls, Kevin
Message 6 of 6 (130 Views)

Re:

06-18-2001 06:54 AM in reply to: tdebolt
Actually, a Network deployment will get a network heavy install with the
Acad.exe on the server. A Client deployment will get a full client (network
version) install with the Acad.exe on the client.

--
Kevin Nehls


"Drew Burgasser" wrote in message
news:4D203FE9D072B82A9A9529EEFE2EB09E@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...

> If the answer to the first question is yes and the second question is no,
> you have to uninstall AutoCAD from each station, create a network
> deployment, and install AutoCAD on each station from the network
deployment
> location. Quite a pain, but that's what you have to do. This scenario is
> assuming that AutoCAD will be installed locally at each station (as
opposed
> to running AutoCAD from a network server).
>
> Good luck,
>
> Drew Burgasser
> CAD Masters, Inc.
> www.cadmasters.com
>
>
>
>
> "tdebolt" wrote in message
> news:f05bcd8.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Our network administrator had recently installed the AdLM on our WinNT
> server. Before we start to use it...what, exactly, do we have to do to all
> of our individual machines before we can use the AdLM?
> Each AutoCAD user currently has the program loaded on his/her computer. Do
> we need to change a setting at each station so that we can use the AdLM?
> Does the acad.exe need to be put on the server?
> Any advice?
>
>

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube