Installation & Licensing

Contributor
brock
Message 1 of 4 (129 Views)

AdLM, LDD2i and Civil - license release

129 Views, 3 Replies
03-14-2001 09:09 AM
I have been unable to locate a technical document that can explain to me how Civil and Survey licenses are released in LDD2i. It is also not obvious what commands will invoke these licenses in the first place beyond the obvious (profiles, sheet manager etc.). I have been told that once a command obtains one of these licenses, it is not released until LDD is exited, completely. From what I've seen, this may actually be the case. R14 and S8 allowed the user to unload the modules, but I haven't come across an equivalent command in LDD. As we don't need to have as many Civil licenses as LDD in typical use, it seems silly to not release these licenses in a timely manner.

Is there a time-out setting for these licenses, or some way to manually unload the modules? If not, this strikes me as a serious weakness in the product.

Thanks,

Brock
*martin, jason
Message 2 of 4 (129 Views)

Re: AdLM, LDD2i and Civil - license release

03-14-2001 10:16 PM in reply to: brock
Brock -

Autodesk has recently changed the way licenses are pulled with vertical products. I'm not
sure with what software this change first took place, but here's the comparison.

In older versions of vertical products when you first started the product with the icon it
only pulled a vanilla autocad license. It wasn't until you actually used a non-vanilla
command that the product checked for the license for that product. The vertical license
was not released until you completely shutdown autocad. (S8 probably handled this
different since it is a separate application, I'm talking about stuff like LDDT, ADT,
MDT.)

In current versions (and this may not be in all shipping versions right now, but I bet it
will be in the next version) as soon as you launch the vertical application a vertical
application only license is pulled. It no longer pulls a vanilla license and waits for a
non-vanilla command.

I'm not sure which of the above scenarios LDDT2i falls under but you can bet that LDDT3
(or whatever they call it) will fall under the second.

Unfortunately there is no time-out in the current implementation of the license manager.
I've talked to autodesk about this and the problem that they are having with time-out
settings is as follows:

In autocad lack of mouse clicks and keyboard stokes does not indicate that the program is
not being used. If you are working on a huge rendering (or whatever) that takes 8 hours,
you probably don't want autocad shutting down 1 hour into it.

My though was that you could simple monitor the processor time taken by the acad.exe
process, but there is trouble there as well. Lets say that you have you timeout set to 1
hour and your autosave set to 30 minutes. Whatever monitor is checking the processor time
of acad.exe will never detect it as "idle" for 1 hour since every 30 minutes you are doing
something.

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"brock" wrote in message news:f035029.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
I have been unable to locate a technical document that can explain to me how Civil and
Survey licenses are released in LDD2i. It is also not obvious what commands will invoke
these licenses in the first place beyond the obvious (profiles, sheet manager etc.). I
have been told that once a command obtains one of these licenses, it is not released until
LDD is exited, completely. From what I've seen, this may actually be the case. R14 and S8
allowed the user to unload the modules, but I haven't come across an equivalent command in
LDD. As we don't need to have as many Civil licenses as LDD in typical use, it seems silly
to not release these licenses in a timely manner.
Is there a time-out setting for these licenses, or some way to manually unload the
modules? If not, this strikes me as a serious weakness in the product.
Thanks,
Brock
*James Wedding, E.I.T.
Message 3 of 4 (129 Views)

Re: AdLM, LDD2i and Civil - license release

03-14-2001 10:37 PM in reply to: brock
If you're in LDD2i, you can go to the projects menu and look for Unload
Applications and unload them both right there.

HTH--
James Wedding, E.I.T.
IT Manager
Jones & Boyd, Inc.
Dallas, Texas
jwedding@NOSPAMjones-boyd.com
Remove NOSPAM from e-mail for reply.
Contributor
brock
Message 4 of 4 (129 Views)

Re:

03-15-2001 01:51 AM in reply to: brock
Thanks James! That's the trick all right.

Should it be possible to make an icon on a toolbar that invokes this command? Or better yet, a lisp routine that would drop the modules on a regular basis, sort of like a cron job? It strikes me as a real weakness that a user can load a sheetmanager sheet in the morning (invoking the license) then do nothing but draft the rest of the day but continue to hold that license. Sort of misses the point of having a license manager in my opinion. I can see I'm going to get nothing but complaints from my people over this!

Brock

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube