Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation starts, and then gives blank dialog for entertainment suite 2012?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MayaWannabe
589 Views, 7 Replies

Activation starts, and then gives blank dialog for entertainment suite 2012?

I'm trying to activate 3ds 2012 (I've also tried from MotionBuilder 2012 as I have the suite).

I get the dialog asking me if I want to try or to activate and I go for 'activate'.

I get a second dialog, and I click on that to activate.

Then, I get a blank dialog and nothing happens.

I was able to activate 2011 over the Internet last year without issues?

I have Internet connectivity on that Win7-64 box.

BTW - if I want to remove certain components of the 2011 suite I'm not using, do I have to  de-activate (un-license) that app in some way, or ... and am I ok as long as I don't remove the entire suite? 

I don't want to accidentally kill my license so that I can't ever re-install the program if I need to.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hashim.mundol
in reply to: MayaWannabe

please try

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Blank-Register-Today-Screen/td-p/2735313

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8
MayaWannabe
in reply to: hashim.mundol

I use FireFox with NoScript as my default browser, but I have IE9 (or whatever their latest version is) installed.

There's no way I'm going to use IE as my default, it is a security hole, and I greatly resent any time AD pull that browser up (usually for 3ds 2011 crashes).

I'll license over the phone if necessary - or return it, as 2012 just seems poorly put together, as even the install did not work properly without my copying all the files to a hard drive and moving DLLS into the outer level where the setup.exe was.

At least with 2011 it installed and I could activate (on the same machine) over the Internet.

Activating over the internet should not require IE, it should be self-contained.  I have many other programs, and zero problems with activating them.

IE market share is now BELOW 50%, and for good reason.  Do you really want the support hassles of infections?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

It is a fallacy to think that IE is any more of a security hole than other browsers any more than it is to think that a MAC is more secure than a PC.  This is not a forum for software wars. 

Furthermore, market share of IE as of June 2011 stands at approximately 54% - a majority by any standard. 

Browser-6-2011.png

For more information on this known Autodesk Support Knowledge Base article, please follow this link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=6404339&linkID=9240617

Additional discussion about this issue can be found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Blank-Activation-Screen/td-p/2862508

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
MayaWannabe
in reply to: TravisNave

Pointless to go into a security discussion unless you spend a lot of your time on security issues and keep current with the right security blogs.

The figure you report is from NetMarketShare.  There are others who report statistics. who claim

From July 5, 2011:  * Microsoft's Internet Explorer dips below 50 pct

And those figures will always be disputed depending on one's bias.

But - for you to be happy that you ONLY support 54% of the browsers, leaving the other 46% out in the cold, certainly says a lot in and of itself.

If only 46% of AD customers have a negative experience, is that a good thing?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
TravisNave

Thank you, network security is my job.  Smiley Very Happy

Nearly all of supported OS for Autodesk installs are Windows XP thru Windows 7, to which all are installed with Internet Explorer.  There really isn't a 46% issue.  You can choose an alternate browser as much as you can choose Solidworks.  There are alternate methods for you to activate your product if one or more supported methods do not fit your needs, including by email or phone.  Autodesk has no restrictions on whether you choose to use Outlook, Lotus Notes, or Gmail -- or call on a Blackberry or Droid.  Smiley Very Happy

We're just a forum of peers.  Everybody has their own opinions on things... just don't discount the suggestions of others because of said bias. 

Just because I can get the License Manager to work on an Etch-a-Sketch, doesn't mean it should be run there. 

LMTOOLS.jpg

Man those circles are a royal pain!!  Smiley Wink

Good luck!  I hope you're able to activate and use your product. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 8
MayaWannabe
in reply to: TravisNave

Oh, I'm sorry.   I thought you were the same fellow as the origjnal Autodesk reply -  hashim.mundol (who, I'm sure was just trying to be helpful too).

I guess most people on this forum are a bit frustrated or they would not be here.  You must have the patience of Job to put up with it!

Yes, I'll try to just register another way.

But AD really should address these installl and activation issues - as they are so basic. 

Having Firefox as my default browser (not very unusual), should not affect an install that used all the defaults.

And the first time I bring up a product like 3ds, it shouldn't have trouble finding the dlls that exist in sub-folders of its own program directory.  That just seems crazy to me?

I also had to copy all my DVD files to my hard drive to install.  I don't have issues like this with other software.

Have a great day.  Sorry to have vented on you!

Message 8 of 8
TravisNave

It's no big deal, I am used to it.  We'd all like many of the common problems fixed, but for the moment, all we can do is offer the best possible solutions and work-arounds for the time being.  If you ever come across a good solution, please feel free to share it with the community.  Thanks!

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report