Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADLM handing out BDS AutoCAD license to ANY Vanilla AutoCAD user...

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
robert
863 Views, 11 Replies

ADLM handing out BDS AutoCAD license to ANY Vanilla AutoCAD user...

We have network seats of AutoCAD and also a network seat of Building Design Suite Premium (asked our vendor for a standalone, but somehow got a network seat instead). Installed it all this week but found out that the seat for the BDS AutoCAD will be handed out by the ADLM to ANY user who's running vanilla AutoCAD from their station. We've checked and double checked it with the LM Tools utility. The BDS seat is on some kind of "first come first served" condition and it then prohibits the user who SHOULD only have access to that license from obtaining it and, while he will be able to run AutoCAD from the installed BDS package on his decktop (as the ADLM will hand him one of the remaining plain AutoCAD license seats), he cannot then fire up any other products that are part of the BDS.

The BDS and the AutoCADs have different serial numbers. Seems like that should prohibit this from happening, but it's not.

Has anyone else seen this?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
DarrenP
in reply to: robert

is this whats happening?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17565918&linkID=16831209

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
robert
in reply to: DarrenP

Not Quite..let's say users A,B,C and D all have network license seats for just AutoCAD.

User E has the BDS installed.

So, if User E fires up his station before users ABCD, then he aquires a plan AutoCAD seat and not the BDS seat.

Also, ANY user can acquire the BDS AutoCAD seat which then resitricts user E from aquiring it and using any product that's part of the BDS because user E is then restricted to using only the "AutoCAD" license.

Message 4 of 12
TravisNave

If you have just one seat of BDS and one user with that suite installed, then create an adskflex.opt options file to reserve that seat of BDS for that user only.  None of the other users will be able to take it and he'll always have access to it.  That's your best bet. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 12
DarrenP

its working correctly

according to the cascading sequence: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16981643&linkID=9240657&CMP=OTC-RSS...

what you can do is create an options to reserve a bds license for the bds user:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Managing-the-adskflex-opt-Options-File/td-p/307...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

You're fast today, Darren.  Smiley Very Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 12
robert
in reply to: TravisNave

Ok, so it's not enough to simply reserve the one BDS seat for the BDS user, we must also exclude that user from having access to the AutoCAD seats. So, it has to be done through a combo on includes and exludes, right?

We don't want the BDS user to aquire a plain AutoCAD seat...and we don't want the plain AutoCAD users from aquiring the BDS seat.

Message 8 of 12
TravisNave

Not necessarily.  If you reserve the BDS license for the one user then that user will always have that license checked out.  Thus it should query the NLM and simply take the reserve rather than the other license. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 12
robert

We tried the RESERVE and it didn't work for some odd reason.

I think, though, with a combination of INCLUDE and EXCLUDE we have it working fine.

Now, how does the TIMEOUT function work for returning licenses? Is the elapsed time measured in computer use or AutoCAD use? And, does the NLM shut down AutoCAD and do a SAVE for all open files, or just dump them or let a user figure out what to do with the files once they return to their station?

Message 10 of 12
TravisNave

TIMEOUT has a minimum of 900 seconds and works on idle time.  If the computer is idle for that length of time, the license is returned to the pool.  When it is no longer idle, the license is reclaimed.  If there are no licenses available, the application asks the user to save and then the application must close. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 12
robert

Tom Stoekel mentioned in a video that the timout is based on AutoCAD being idle...he didnt' say the computer being idle. Are you sure it's the computer?

Message 12 of 12
TravisNave

Yes, technically the application itself but often it's one in the same. What constitutes as 'idle' has been debated though. I've read instances where this has been defeated by keeping the program in the middle of a user command.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report