Installation & Licensing

Reply
*Gennero, James
Message 1 of 5 (87 Views)

ADLM Issues

87 Views, 4 Replies
12-06-2001 03:48 AM
I am trying to setup a redundant server pool using 5 servers. The problem
is, the Admin tool crashes everytime I add the fourth. On any of the five
servers. These are all Windows NT 4.0 servers. Any help would be great.
Oh yeah, I am running the TCP/IP version for the ADLM. Thanks.

James Gennero
Carter and Burgess
*martin, jason
Message 2 of 5 (87 Views)

Re: ADLM Issues

12-06-2001 04:09 AM in reply to: *Gennero, James
James -
Which adlm are you using?? FlexLM or Elan??

I'm guessing Elan here because you said admin tool rather than lmtools.

Do all of the servers have identical server prefixes?

Did you follow TD164037? (Well actually you can't follow TD164037
exactly because it's only for 3 servers, but the concept will be the
same)

Why do you required a 5 server pool??? Autodesk recommends against
redundant servers in general. A 5 server pool is overkill in most
situations. If you have enough users that autocad being up is that
important, why not use a distributed model??

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza


"James Gennero" wrote in message
news:4F9743384CB710143A2787927DB5E3B1@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I am trying to setup a redundant server pool using 5 servers. The
problem
> is, the Admin tool crashes everytime I add the fourth. On any of the
five
> servers. These are all Windows NT 4.0 servers. Any help would be
great.
> Oh yeah, I am running the TCP/IP version for the ADLM. Thanks.
>
> James Gennero
> Carter and Burgess
>
>
*Gennero, James
Message 3 of 5 (87 Views)

Re:

12-06-2001 04:17 AM in reply to: *Gennero, James
> Which adlm are you using?? FlexLM or Elan??

I am using Elan. I didn't know there was another option.

> I'm guessing Elan here because you said admin tool rather than lmtools.
>
> Do all of the servers have identical server prefixes?

Yes.

> Did you follow TD164037? (Well actually you can't follow TD164037
> exactly because it's only for 3 servers, but the concept will be the
> same)

Yes.

> Why do you required a 5 server pool??? Autodesk recommends against
> redundant servers in general. A 5 server pool is overkill in most
> situations. If you have enough users that autocad being up is that
> important, why not use a distributed model??

We have four offices spread throughout the region. Management wants them
all to share the same 100 seats of AutoCAD. I want to ensure each office
can license if their connection to the outside world goes down. I just
counted on having an extra box for the 5th server in the main office.
*martin, jason
Message 4 of 5 (87 Views)

Re:

12-06-2001 04:39 AM in reply to: *Gennero, James
James -
The option between elan and FlexLM is dependant on what version of
Autocad you are running. Anything that is pre2k2 is elan (well, anything
back to r14). Post 2k2 uses a new licensing technology.

If the connection to the outside world goes down an individual office
will not be able to license. That's not the way the redundant server's
work. Over half of the servers must remain "up" for licensing to
continue (up means that 3 servers (in a 5 server model) must be able to
communicate with one another).

(All of the below explanation assume a "hub and spoke" network
topology.)

With a redundant model and 5 servers if any network link fails that
office will not be able to get any licenses.
If two links are down, two offices won't be able to get any licenses. If
3 are down, no one can get any licenses. (Router failure at the main
office).

If any server becomes "isolated" from the others it will not be able to
issue, or maintain licenses.

Communication over these wan links between the servers will need to be
flawless for the servers to stay up. The elan adlm uses udp for
communications so if packets start getting dropped servers will just
drop out.

Also, just fyi, using the adlm over a wan is a violation of the Autodesk
EULA (unless you have the magical mystery waiver).

To be honest I've never done a 5 server redundant pool. I've done some 3
server pools (which you seem to have working) as a test, but never a 5.
In fact I don't know of anyone running a 5 server pool. If after reading
the above, you still want a redundant pool, you might contact your
dealer (or major accounts manager, assuming that you have one) and see
if you can get them to lend a hand.

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"James Gennero" wrote in message
news:69BA47992FA3382B122C7EC5B30E37F9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Which adlm are you using?? FlexLM or Elan??
>
> I am using Elan. I didn't know there was another option.
>
> > I'm guessing Elan here because you said admin tool rather than
lmtools.
> >
> > Do all of the servers have identical server prefixes?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Did you follow TD164037? (Well actually you can't follow TD164037
> > exactly because it's only for 3 servers, but the concept will be the
> > same)
>
> Yes.
>
> > Why do you required a 5 server pool??? Autodesk recommends against
> > redundant servers in general. A 5 server pool is overkill in most
> > situations. If you have enough users that autocad being up is that
> > important, why not use a distributed model??
>
> We have four offices spread throughout the region. Management wants
them
> all to share the same 100 seats of AutoCAD. I want to ensure each
office
> can license if their connection to the outside world goes down. I
just
> counted on having an extra box for the 5th server in the main office.
>
>
>
>
*Diercks, Skip
Message 5 of 5 (87 Views)

Re:

12-07-2001 12:35 AM in reply to: *Gennero, James
According to what I heard at AU, the use of the ADLM accross a WAN was legal
until version 2k2 where it was specifically stated. At least that is what I
understood from what the AutoDesk people have told me. I would suggest a
distributed license model (20 in each office, or whatever ratio would work
best for your situation) and set your workstations up with the ACADSERVER
variable set to all 5 servers. With this model, you will have 20 licenses
available in an office if the link is down. With the redundant server
model, as Jason Stated, you are SOL in an office if it's link goes down
until said link comes back up. Usually not the best way to go. FYI, when
you move to 2k2 and FLEXlm, the redundant server model can only contain 3
servers, no more, no less.

--
Skip Diercks
Computer Support Specialist
Wade-Trim, Inc.
sdiercks@wadetrim.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube