Installation & Licensing

rwmastel
Message 1 of 6 (86 Views)

ACAD2000i - ADLM - Netware - NT4

86 Views, 5 Replies
03-19-2001 06:20 AM
Hi. I'm not too familiar with the installation procedures for ACAD2000i and the ADLM, but I'm now the one in charge of it. Here's what I did: I performed a Network Client install of 2000i to the NetWare 4.11 server (ADLM files later). I was not sure of some of the settings to select. I then ran the install again for the ADLM, but on a WinNT4 workstation (P-100, 80MB RAM, 1GB HD, token-ring, static IP) as we are looking to move to Netware 5.x and get rid of IPX on the LAN/WAN. I could then run setup from a drive mapped to the NW 4.11 server, but once installed, that client will not find the ADLM. The ADLM service is running and the client can ping the workstation that the ADLM is running on by address, but not by name (no DNS entry). Client is NT4 with SP6a and is on the ethernet segment, ADLM system is on the TokenRing segment. (We're going through a T-R to Ethernet migration.) Did I miss something in the Network Client setup to the server? How does the ADLM advertise itself, or how does the client find it? Thanks. Going home now.
*martin, jason
Message 2 of 6 (86 Views)

Re: ACAD2000i - ADLM - Netware - NT4

03-19-2001 06:44 AM in reply to: rwmastel
rwmastel-
The adlm won't work on a token ring. The adlm isn't compatible with a token ring network.
An ethernet network is required

Make sure there is only one Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in the computer, and
that it is an Ethernet network adapter. Having more than one NIC installed can cause the
server code to change which will invalidate the authorization code.

Can you change out the nic on the adlm machine and connect it to an ethernet segment? All
of the clients can be token ring if you want but the server must be on an ethernet
segment.

btw
The adlm doesn't really "advertise" it just answers (as far as I know). When a client
launches acad it will request a license. You can set a variable on the client
(acadserver=hostnameofadlmserver) so that the client knows where to look for the server,
but if you network isn't to busy or require to many leaps and bounds to get to point a
from point b, you shouldn't have to. The client will basically "broadcast" until an aldm
server answers, or the client times out. You will have to have host name to host name
connectivity between the adlm server and the client. (You will have to be able to ping
the adlm server by host name and the server will have to be able to ping the client by
host name). To do this you can create a host file (which can be a pain if you ever change
anything) or install dns (or ddns) so that you have name resolution. Also upd port 1422
must be open between the two.

hth

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"rwmastel" wrote in message
news:f036b99.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
Hi. I'm not too familiar with the installation procedures for ACAD2000i and the ADLM, but
I'm now the one in charge of it. Here's what I did: I performed a Network Client install
of 2000i to the NetWare 4.11 server (ADLM files later). I was not sure of some of the
settings to select. I then ran the install again for the ADLM, but on a WinNT4 workstation
(P-100, 80MB RAM, 1GB HD, token-ring, static IP) as we are looking to move to Netware 5.x
and get rid of IPX on the LAN/WAN. I could then run setup from a drive mapped to the NW
4.11 server, but once installed, that client will not find the ADLM. The ADLM service is
running and the client can ping the workstation that the ADLM is running on by address,
but not by name (no DNS entry). Client is NT4 with SP6a and is on the ethernet segment,
ADLM system is on the TokenRing segment. (We're going through a T-R to Ethernet
migration.) Did I miss something in the Network Client setup to the server? How does the
ADLM advertise itself, or how does the client find it? Thanks. Going home now.
rwmastel
Message 3 of 6 (86 Views)

Re:

03-19-2001 10:36 PM in reply to: rwmastel
Thank you Jason. There are two other license manager products running on the same workstation as the ADLM, so I will have to look into what it takes to move them to a new IP address. I don't understand why the ADLM won't work on token-ring. It's still TCP/IP. We have a DNS server on our network, but we typically don't make entries for workstations. Perhaps this will have to be an exception. Does this system truly require name resolution as apposed to straight IP addresses for communication? Thanks - Rodd.
rwmastel
Message 4 of 6 (86 Views)

Re:

03-19-2001 11:11 PM in reply to: rwmastel
Jason - I forgot to ask, is there is a utility that can be run on a client PC to test connectivity to the ADLM? Something that simulates ACAD taking a license. Thanks. Rodd
*martin, jason
Message 5 of 6 (86 Views)

Re:

03-20-2001 12:36 AM in reply to: rwmastel
Rodd-
According to the documentation the adlm resolved by hostname and not ip address. We
didn't have to specify each machines dns/ip mapping on our dns server, but we are allowing
wins resolution on our dns server and our network isn't very complex (everythings on 1
subnet). I've heard of some people getting it to work with ip addrs. only, but it's not
supported. You might try it?

In answer to you next question I've not seen any type of utility for checking resolution
from a remote machine. Normally you ping the client from the server and the server from
the client (both by host name). If adlm still doesn't work then adlm isn't running
(someone forgot to click start) or there is something blocking udp 1422.

hth

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"rwmastel" wrote in message
news:f036b99.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
Thank you Jason. There are two other license manager products running on the same
workstation as the ADLM, so I will have to look into what it takes to move them to a new
IP address. I don't understand why the ADLM won't work on token-ring. It's still TCP/IP.
We have a DNS server on our network, but we typically don't make entries for workstations.
Perhaps this will have to be an exception. Does this system truly require name resolution
as apposed to straight IP addresses for communication? Thanks - Rodd.
rwmastel
Message 6 of 6 (86 Views)

Re:

03-27-2001 11:08 PM in reply to: rwmastel
Jason - I did discover from another IT person that there is a WINS server on our network. I set up the TCP/IP settings on the PC running the ADLM and the PC running A2Ki and it works great! We use a Novell network and we use Novell's ZENWorks to image applications. Since it is our standard to NOT configure WINS, we added that into the image of the A2Ki install and it works great. Thanks for all your help. Rodd.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube