Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max showing 2 different serial numbers???

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
glergier
637 Views, 3 Replies

3ds max showing 2 different serial numbers???

I'm trying to clean up installations of 3ds max in our office.  We have standalone and network licenses and wanted to uninstall some of the standalone installtions and reinstall as network.

On few systems, I'm finding that what the registry says is the serial numbers (found at hklm/software/13.0/max-1:409/serialnumber is a completely different number than if I open the 3ds max 2011 program and go to licensing. 

Can anyone please explain what may be going on here?? The key that I'm finding when I open 3ds max is not a key I was aware of having. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dembkod
in reply to: glergier

glergier,

Hello. Product keys are entered at time of installation and they vary according to year and product. A product will have a different key compared to a suite that has the same product in it. 2011 keys are here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19726923&linkID=12305695

The key needs to be connected to the serial that you are installing. The serial you are seeing was entered at some point and there is no way of us knowing how it got there. Back when it was first installed, it was likely installed using that serial and what you are seeing is a layover from that installation.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 3 of 4
glergier
in reply to: dembkod

I just tested this on a brand new laptop that has the original factory build on it.  Installed 3ds max 2011 on it with our network license serial number.  The registry location shows me the correct serial number I just used.  However, when I open 3ds max and go to help >about 3ds max it shows a completely different serial number that I did not enter. 

Message 4 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: glergier

Honestly, if it is a network licensed model, then the serial number is irrelevant.  The license is held by the server and handed out accordingly.  The client's serial number does not play any part in this transaction.  Whether it matches or not, the client will obtain a license if one is available. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report