Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max crashes on extended menu open

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dinevir
2165 Views, 8 Replies

3ds max crashes on extended menu open

Hi. Couple days ago I got a problem. When I try to open extended menu, like Open ->, or Save ->, or Import/Export, 3ds max crashes with "application closed" error. Problem on 3ds MAX 2010 and 2011 in x64 versions. x86 work fine. Service Packs installed. OS Windows 7 x64. Drivers updated, and workis fine. This solutions did not resolve a problem: - reinstall 3ds MAX - reset user and max settings / deleting enu folder - there is no backup for windows recovery Can it be, than some windows libraries damaged, or some dll missed? Do not know what to do else, except full windows reinstall. Any ideas?..
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dinevir
in reply to: dinevir

Problem solved! As I thought, were damaged system files. Restoring files from the console with command “sfc /scannow” eliminated 3ds max crashes.
Message 3 of 9
yannick1976

I had the same problem. Your solution fixed it ! Thanks

Message 4 of 9
yannick1976
in reply to: yannick1976

Well actually it wasn't this ! It worked once then not anymore (!??).

Still my problem seems to be fixed with following solution  : right click 3ds icon, scroll to properties, go to compatibility tab, and check on the disable visual styles button. was found on http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/18/856830

btw the menu is more often called 'application menu'. Just writing it to help other googlers like me 🙂

Message 5 of 9
btk88
in reply to: yannick1976

Hello,

I am having a similar problem with 3ds Max crashing.  The trigger is almost certainly to do with the application menu.  Once I open the menu and try to "open" or "save as" 3ds Max stops responding.  I don't get an error message, it simply freezes up.  I tried the method of going into the application's properties>compatability>"disable visual styles" to no avail, because A: the check boxes under "settings" are not selectable, and B: there is no "disable visual styles" option (There is howevever, a "disable visual themes" checkbox).

This problem has got me stumped - if it helps, I am running Windows 7.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Message 6 of 9
dinevir
in reply to: btk88

Try to fix system components by running from the console “sfc /scannow” command. In normal max should not crash on menu open an any PC.
+ update you videocard driver

For Aero switching you can create text file and rename it to .BAT (or .CMD), like, "aero_switch.bat"
Here is file content:

@echo off
sc interrogate uxsms | find "1062"
if %errorlevel%==0 goto :sc_start
sc stop uxsms
exit
:sc_start
sc start uxsms
exit 

Message 7 of 9
btk88

I've tried the method suggested through the console and it couldn't find anything wrong.

I'm also using a student version of 3ds Max 2011, if that makes a difference.  I was able to use Max for a few weeks, no problem.  Then, I suddenly had this crashing issue.  I suspect it may have something to do with recent Microsoft updates.

Message 8 of 9
dinevir

Try to install latest DirectX, using dxwebsetup.exe

I dont know, what else can help you. Or there system components corrupt, or drivers mismatching, or 3dsmax corrupted and need clean installation.

Message 9 of 9
btk88

Ok, I've tried downloading the latest version of Directx, and I've updated my graphics card driver.  The problem still persists.

I've tried downloading another copy of 3ds Max (2011 and 2012) for the past 2 weeks, but the download "finishes" before it gets all the data.  For example, 3ds Max 2012 is around 3 Gb. I'll go through the download process and only get a 2.7 Gb installation file.  I'll try to install and, of course, it won't happen (something about currupt files) and tell me I need to download a fresh copy.  I've tried downloading the software through different computers on different networks and still came up with the same result. 

Has anyone else had an issue with downloading 3ds Max?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report