Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2014 for mac OSX

55 REPLIES 55
Message 1 of 56
rockworldmi
299164 Views, 55 Replies

3DS Max 2014 for mac OSX

Hi All,

Why there is no Mac os x system requirement under 2014 max? or are they releasing mac osx native verison ?

Regards,

Jay.

55 REPLIES 55
Message 2 of 56
DarrenP
in reply to: rockworldmi

no there has never been a 3ds max for the mac

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 56
powellluke
in reply to: DarrenP

Is Autodesk ever going to produce a version for Mac- if Autodesk can do it for AutoCAD (Mac version), why can't they do it for 3dsMax or any other software? Just curious 😄

Message 4 of 56
rockworldmi

Well yes.. also if for mac not possible i think for like Maya make it for Linux. 

Regards,

Jay.

Message 5 of 56
rockworldmi

Message 6 of 56
philip.s

Hi Jay!

I'm looking into the possibility of updating the system requirements page and will definitely keep you updated.

Another good source of relevant information in this case is our Mac Compatible Products page.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 56
hardikdim2001

I am using autodesk products from last 5 years and i find it very annoying that they dont have any mac version for 3ds max.

autodesk should look after the need of designers as creating a 3d work in mac work is more satisfying than in windows.

I am sure many designers like me should be looking for 3ds max mac version.

Message 8 of 56
jamessawle

We made the move from Windows to OSX earier this year, we did this because we were fed up with Windows systems runnig like dogs, too much spam and virus's, We found that maya runs so much faster and is more stable on OSX, we would like to take on 3DS Max for the Corporate and broadcast work, but even if they do end up releasing a OSX version, the same issues will be aparent, the lack of plugins being the major one. There are loads available from all the big software developers for Windows and even Linux, but OSX does seem to be an after thought which is a real shame, I hope it will get there, we find OSX the best for speed and stability and ease of use, as a facility, we will never return to Windows.  

Message 9 of 56
yasira_f

hello!

I have been reading the post and I went to the update page of programs for mac, I am about to buy a laptop for 3ds max design 2014 and best I saw has OS X Mountain Lion operating system, is still the max not up for mac? please HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 56
DarrenP
in reply to: yasira_f

@yasira_f wrote:

hello!

I have been reading the post and I went to the update page of programs for mac, I am about to buy a laptop for 3ds max design 2014 and best I saw has OS X Mountain Lion operating system, is still the max not up for mac? please HELP!!!!!!!!!!

read the system requirements its on autodesk website

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15458146&linkID=9241177

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 56

I have been running REVIT 2014 and 3dsmax2014 in macbook retina (late2013) via Parallels and it runs extremely well!!! , I have been a user of Dell Extreme Workstations for over 10 years. But now, we move to mac and the workflow is faster and more stable.
I highly recommend using autodesk in mac.
Message 12 of 56
ivector

if there is no 3Dmaxs for mac ,maybe i will learn maya.you know,use the VMware Fusion is not feel well!

如果没有3Dmaxs在os x上运行,我宁愿选择maya,用虚拟机感觉很不舒服

Message 13 of 56
david.lau
in reply to: ivector
Message 14 of 56
SPMinstructor

3DS MAX 2012 on a Mac.

3DS MAX is running on a iMac ( OS 10.9.2 ) running inside a virtual machine ( VirtualBox..it's free open source ) that is running a windows 7. Just make sure that you go to "customize" and choose "preferences" and then click on the "viewports" tab. Below where it says "Display Drivers" click on "choose driver" and select "OpenGL ( Microsoft Corporation version 1.10 ) and restart 3DS Max and you should be good to go. If you don't do this last step 3DS MAX will throw a "Virtual device creation failed" error. When building your VM make sure you enable 3D acceleration ( not 2D ).

If you haven't used virtualBox before best way ( that works for me ) is to store your version of windows on a flashdrive ( as a .iso ) and when you start your VM point to the flashdrive. Remember...you will need a copy of windows for the VM. Much easier and cleaner than bootCamp etc..

Shaun

( ps...excuse the sideways image...why I couldn't rotate it I don't know ). Hope this helps out and could maybe be a option for some mac people.

Message 15 of 56
rockworldmi
in reply to: SPMinstructor

Tried that but didn't get performance when using v-ray. its good for modeling but if native port is there its great for heavy scenes.
Message 16 of 56

I agree.

I worked at an architecture oficce for 2 years during wich my boss insisted on using 3ds max for rendering, basically cause clients "used it as well" since they had PCs.

It was efffffing lame, I had to install Parallels which meant I had to use Windows (which I'm sorry, but I think it sucks) It was a horrible experience. It made my mac slow and windows even slower, the worst experience from both platforms no matter the settings we used with my colleagues . And I know, for less demanding people "sure it's just fine", but to me it was horrible. Having to turn on windows every time I wanted to render something?!!!....That's just gross.

The answer from Autodesk you ask? hahaha.......Literally, they almost laughed as they basically made me "infer" that there was never going to be "such a thing" as 3Ds max for mac and that I should just set my settings better on Parallels, or switch to Maya.

In the end I quit my job (for other reasons of course LOL) and have been using Maya ever since. At least to me when it comes to design, a program that doesn't exist for mac, doesn't exist at all. I just took a hint.

Message 17 of 56

Good deal. All these work arounds do get tiresome. The iMac I am running is maxed out on RAM ( 32GB )so that obviously has something to do with the performance I am getting. Thanks for the response...and input ( I am getting back into 3Ds max after years of hiatus ).

Sent from my iPhone
Message 18 of 56
BishopM01
in reply to: philip.s

It's June 2014-

Is there a mac verision for 3ds max?

If I were to use boot-camp or paralelles, I still will have to buy windows 7, and I don't have a pc.

Can't you guys simplify this matter?  I got class in one week-

Hit me - bishop.michael2@gmail.com - thx

Message 19 of 56
drp281
in reply to: BishopM01

you need to read the whole thread again
and read the system requirements
Message 20 of 56
alebela24_94

help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report