Installation & Licensing

Contributor
smurgas
Message 11 of 21 (993 Views)

Re: 2013 Install Process

10-31-2012 08:59 AM in reply to: AUbridgestone

Do you mean recreate from scratch from the media?  I tried that several times now and the result is the same.  I was hoping there is some silver bullet to get it to work.  Network folder permissions are good (I'm even trying to install as a domain admin, so that shouldn't matter anyway). 

AUbridgestone
Message 12 of 21 (989 Views)

10-31-2012 09:12 AM in reply to: smurgas

yes, re-create from scratch. The only other issue I had occured because I was trying to install a 32-bit verion on a 64-bit OS.

Contributor
smurgas
Message 13 of 21 (975 Views)

10-31-2012 01:44 PM in reply to: jagrove

I actually just created the deploy right on my extra drive on my workstation and then ran the installer and it worked!  So it has to be something with the server, maybe the path becomes too long or too deep at some point?

Has anyone else had to put their deploys near the root of a network drive in order for it to work?

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 14 of 21 (974 Views)

10-31-2012 01:46 PM in reply to: smurgas

That's almost certainly the reason for your failure.  Folder depth and 255 character path limit is a real problem with deployments.  That is why your UNC share path should always be \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME

If you share it like that, you'll probably have better success.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Contributor
smurgas
Message 15 of 21 (962 Views)

11-01-2012 06:50 AM in reply to: TravisNave

That does appear to be the problem so I will be creating the deploys as close to the root of the share as possible and not nesting it deeper in as in the past.

Thanks!

sysbackup
Message 16 of 21 (948 Views)

aRe: 2013 Install Process

11-01-2012 11:57 AM in reply to: smurgas

I was having the same problem until a ran the Create and Modify a deployment.  I kept the silent install checked but removed the other two checks ( can't remember what they were, something about creating log files).  After this, the deploy went smoothly.  In my opinion, it has something to do with not having appropriate permissions to write the log file on the deployment server...

Hope this helps...

Contributor
smurgas
Message 17 of 21 (941 Views)

Re: aRe: 2013 Install Process

11-01-2012 12:29 PM in reply to: sysbackup

The silent option doesn''t seem to matter for me (yet-hopefully not) and so far, everything is working good by creating the deploys on a network share that isn't nested very deep.

One thing I did notice is that sometimes the setup.exe stops moving along after clicking through the create deploy dialogs, just before it gets to the dialog where you select the products to include.  I found that by using Resource Monitor to suspend setup.exe and then resuming it, it continues to the product selection dialog window.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 18 of 21 (926 Views)

11-02-2012 08:39 AM in reply to: sysbackup

sysbackup wrote:

I was having the same problem until a ran the Create and Modify a deployment.  I kept the silent install checked but removed the other two checks ( can't remember what they were, something about creating log files).  After this, the deploy went smoothly.  In my opinion, it has something to do with not having appropriate permissions to write the log file on the deployment server...

Hope this helps...

You'll want to make sure that your deployment share has full write access on both the share and the folder permissions.  I typically set the everyone account to full control.  The UNC should always be \\servername\share even in the folder structure of the physical location is deeper.  This will prevent folder depth / filepath length issues.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Contributor
smurgas
Message 19 of 21 (924 Views)

11-02-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: TravisNave

I checked perms when I first had problems and they are set up like you mentioned.  I appreciate the feedback from everyone!  So far, everything from creating deploys to running them work great!

Contributor
skhuam
Message 20 of 21 (639 Views)

03-28-2013 03:22 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Hi TravisNave, 

Is this to create a folder under this:  \\servername\share is a must? I currently also facing this issue on creating this deployment on 2 different networks. The one created in this \\servername\share worked, but the other failed. 

Just wonder this is just a coincident or due to others reason. Thanks.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube