Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 LT Installation Works Briefly After Reboot and Then Fails

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
StevenBaldridge7780
2054 Views, 4 Replies

2012 LT Installation Works Briefly After Reboot and Then Fails

I have been going through and updating our engineers to 2012 LT and have run into a problem with one of our engineers. After rebooting the machine, AutoCAD 2012 LT works perfectly for a brief time, maybe an hour or two. Then if you close AutoCAD and try to open again after this period, you get the following error (see attached for screenshot):

AutoCAD LT Error Aborting

There is a problem with the installation and AutoCAD LT cannot continue.

This error may occur if the registry cleaner software has removed or altered registry keys that are required to run AutoCAD LT.

To restore the required registry keys, you will need to reinstall AutoCAD LT using the Add/Remove Program functionality in the Windows Control Panel.

What I've tried so far:

- Performing a full uninstall and clean install per Autodesk's suggested method (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617)

- Turned off UAC

- Set AutoCAD 2012 LT to run as administrator

Current suggestion I have from Autodesk support is to uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 and AutoCAD 2012 LT completely and then reinstall in diagnostic mode while toggling various services on or off to isolate the problem. Problem is, this will take an awful lot of time that neither myself nor the engineer with the problem have.

So putting this out there to see if anyone else has encountered this problem or has suggestions for quick(er) fixes that I can try before starting in with the trial and error installations.

The engineer is using 64-bit Windows 7 with a standalone license.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

What application is on the PC that is performing the Registry edits? Did you turn that ability off yet? Also set that app and any anti-virus you have to ignore AutoCAD and all of it's files and activities.

IMHO, if you need to uninstall any .NET program you must remove all .NET programs from Windows, then restart and reinstall the ones needed only: it helps if your Windows is fully up to date too.

If needed (may not be avoidable), I recommend the following procedures for removal: http://ltisacad.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-remove-autocadlt-from-your.html

And you must terminate the app/feature that is touching your Windows Registry every hour or two, it's not needed unless your engineer's computer is in a coffee shop that total strangers have access to use as well or they are constantly installing and uninstalling apps for a living.

Message 3 of 5

As an update, I have run a registry tracker to see if I could find out what was the issue. Looked like a wmiprvse.exe was active in the AutoCAD LT uninstall registry keys every time I've had this problem. Looked at the WMI logs and found that it was being instigated by Microsoft Policy Platform.

I contacted the provider for our security software (Windows Intune) and went through a full uninstall and reinstall of Intune on the problem machine. It appears as though this is not an Intune issue, as four other computers are running the exact same version of Intune with the exact same policy without any issue.

Upon Intune support's recommendation I have double-checked to make sure both the Administrators group as well as the individual user have permissions for the registry keys associated with AutoCAD LT. I'm waiting to see if this makes a difference or not.

One suggestion that Intune support had was to see if Autodesk could help me discern which registry keys are either not getting installed or are faulty. I'm not sure how to go about this, so any help would be much appreciated.

In the meantime, I plan to re-do my deployment files for AutoCAD and try a reinstall and see if that helps at all.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Message 4 of 5

I am having this same issue as well. Did you ever find a solution for this issue? I have done a complete clean uninstall, reinstalled with admin rights and still have this issue. The installation went through with no issues but after about 30 minutes from reboot the program will error with:

AutoCAD LT Error Aborting

There is a problem with the installation and AutoCAD LT cannot continue.

This error may occur if the registry cleaner software has removed or altered registry keys that are required to run AutoCAD LT.

To restore the required registry keys, you will need to reinstall AutoCAD LT using the Add/Remove Program functionality in the Windows Control Panel.

Message 5 of 5

I ended up just wiping the machine and starting new. Was spending more time investigating the problem than it took to just start over from scratch. Haven't had any issues since.

Not really a great solution, but took much less time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report