Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 Licenses on New 2010 License Manager?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
paul.ashley
390 Views, 5 Replies

2008 Licenses on New 2010 License Manager?

We are currently using AutoCAD 2008 but plan on upgrading to 2010 next year. However, we need to run 2010 on several machines for testing and migration of our customization. We run 2008 off that version's license manager.

Given that Autodesk allows subscription customers to use both new and older versions, how do I physically do this? Do I load the 2010 license manager and then load 2008 and 2010 licenses on it?

Note that I myself cannot work on the server but must have IT do the work - and although they installed the current LM a few years ago, they are generally unfamiliar with AutoCAD and have to be given step-by-step instructions.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: paul.ashley

You're on the right track. Essentially, if your 2010 licenses are under Subscription you can also run your 2008 products with the new license file. What you need to do is upgrade the NLM to the 2010 version and get a new license file from Autodesk/Reseller. Once configured, your 2008 applications will still run as expected. But you will also be able to run any installs of 2010. Keep in mind that you will be running the apps from the same license pool, so you cannot exceed your total number of network seats.
For a step-by-step, do this:
1. Get a new license file from Autodesk. 1-800-551-1490.
2. Open your LMTOOLS and stop the service from Start/Stop/Reread
3. Close LMTOOLS and uninstall the NLM
4. Reinstall the new NLM from the 2010 media
5. Open LMTOOLS and go to Config Services tab to use the new license file. Save.
6. Start the service from Start/Stop/Reread

That's really all there is to it. Good luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
paul.ashley

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to see.

Running the 2010s from the same license pool will be fine since those doing the testing are regular AutoCAD users anyway.
Message 4 of 6
paul.ashley

To allow users to keep working during the transition from the 2008 LM to the 2010 LM, is it possible to have users borrow network licenses from the 2008 LM and return them to the 2010 LM?
Message 5 of 6

I think licenses checked out with a 2008 license file can't be checked back into the 2010 license file. Once the borrow time expires they can then grab a new license from the server.

Also when upgrading FlexLM versions, some people shutdown the FlexLM service, copy over the latest versions of ADSKFLEX, LMGRD, LMTOOLS and LMUTIL and then start the service right back up. They usually make a backup of the existing versions in case something goes wrong. It can save quite a bit of time and hassle.

-Brian Cranston
Message 6 of 6
TravisNave

Generally, you can set up a new license manager within a short enough period of time that it will not affect users that login. You do not want to borrow licenses then set up a new NLM because they will not be able to return to the upgraded service.
Now, you can usually just copy the four files as described about... however the four files are not extracted on the 2010 media. Therefore it is rather difficult to get the proper files this time around.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report