Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Could not write value CoreFiles to key Products\7CE....\Features," etc

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
5705 Views, 11 Replies

"Could not write value CoreFiles to key Products\7CE....\Features," etc

I got the error partially quoted in the subject heading when installing 3ds max 2015 on Windows 7. I'm assuming that even though I'm the Administrator, I got that error because I forgot to do that stupid Windows 7 thing where you have to right click and select "Run as Administrator." Since max literally takes over an hour to install (just why is that?) and I was well into it at the point of the error, I couldn't bare starting over again. So I selected "ignore." Much to my pleasant surprise, it appears to have continued installing correctly.

So the question is this: CoreFiles sounds pretty important, although Feature less so. Does anyone know what will happen without that key? Should I reinstall and Run as Administrator? Is there some way to just install that portion so I don't have to watch those progress bars for hours again?

thanx --ds

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I had the exact same error. I too did not select "Run as Administrator" and I'm on Win 7 64bit.

I ignored it as you did, and the install seems to have installed just fine. But I'm also wondering if I'm missing any key components as a result.

Message 3 of 12
autocad.phil

Me 3 😞
It's very frustrating to uninstall/hack-something/reinstall... uninstall/blah/reinstall all day... and nothing works. Then was given more random guesses.
They actually need to rewrite the installer and not ask people to try this, hack this registry, try that etc. Every software installs just fine until this 3dsmax Design 2015 came along!
--
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2019 | Perpetual + Subscription
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: autocad.phil

Although there's another thread on this topic, I'll respond here (since this is the one I started ;-)). Along with someone else who is having this problem I'm working with someone from Autodesk tech support. Yesterday he tried numerous things regarding setting permissions for the registry key, along with reinstalls. Unfortunately nothing worked. He's supposed to get back to me today with new ideas after talking to his colleagues. Although like autocad phil this can be frustrating, I think it's worth keeping in mind just how complex this program is. I'm sure that when the programmers make changes they're trying to improve things for us, not make our lives more difficult. As the number of cases like this continue to increase, I assume this problem will become a higher priority. Since it seems that the program (minus the SP) continues to work, I'm ok with waiting a couple/few days until they can fix this.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Ok, here's an update for anyone having this problem. It apparently has to do with the installer "wrapper" and has nothing to do with the application itself. Tech support gave me a link to SP1 with a different kind of wrapper. I still get the error message, but I'm allowed to select "IGNORE" and the SP completes the install. Whether or not we'll have to go through this all again when SP2 comes out is anyone's guess. --ds

Message 6 of 12
autocad.phil

The Autodesk tech support person was very helpful and pointed out some info to me earlier this week:

Use the file-properties to double-check this file: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2015\3dsmax.exe

SP0/old = 10,729,256 bytes

SP1/new = 10,732,328 bytes <- this means SP1 is installed

In the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Installer - UserData - S-1-5-18 - Products - 7CE73B25638D01403046C342CBDE0201 - Features, there should be a CoreFiles data/string/key (it's missing on mine, after hitting Ignore on the SP0 and new SP1 installs as this is the huge block of data that will not merge/import into the registry during install).

Others using different computers or operating systems that did not have an errors during installs should have a huge, really huge, block of data in this CoreFiles key/string (it may only show one line on the regedit screen but it's really a huge block of data hiding in there).

Without this block of CoreFiles data, i read we cannot uninstall SP1 via the normal Control Panel - Programs/Features.. method (the "SP1" item does not show up on the installed software list).  Otherwise the 3dsmax software works just the same well for everyday use.

Also when the new SP1 has been installed, the Autodesk Applications Manager will no longer pop-up a message in the tray after it starts up (it sometimes may show an older SP1 item in there if we manually look for it and i just ignore this since i know the SP1 has been installed).  The best part is it doesn't pop-up a message after each boot or every few hours.

--
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

I have this same error when installing max 2015.

So now that we know were missing a HUGE block of data in the registry,

what does this actually mean?

How do we get past the issue?

Message 8 of 12
Florian.Coenen

Hello,

the installation of the SP can be done, by extracting the Setup.exe into a folder and start the installation with the 3dsMax2015_SP1.msp.

Now you should be able to ignore the warning and the SP1 can be installed.

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 9 of 12
paulgomez07

wheres the link

Message 10 of 12

Hello,

basically for all Service Packs, you can go to Autodesk.com > Products > -choose the product you want - > Support And Learning > Download.

Here you can find all related downloads for the products.

Here is the direct Link to the SPs for 3dsMax 2015:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads#?cg=Downloads&p=3ds%20Max&v=2015&doctype=Ser...

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 11 of 12

The new SP2 has a Fatal Error when installing (same problem as SP1 install).  Or maybe worse now... it didn't say fatal the last time but something about corefile error. 

--
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: autocad.phil

I have the same problem with the SP2 .msp install file... the message is the same, and the "ignore" doesn't work either....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report