Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nVidia or FirePro?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
FalconCrest
1555 Views, 20 Replies

nVidia or FirePro?

What is better a Titan Black or aFireProw8000 (or w7000) upgrading from anVidia680 GTX for Mud/ Maya/Max ?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anifex09
in reply to: FalconCrest

FirePro ads make it seem like it is the best choice but, Nvidia's Cuda technology is its greatest weapon. Many developers are starting to really take advantage of this code (Nuke - After Effects - Photoshop - Octane GPU Render Engine - and you get the idea) Your best bet is to stay with Nvidia they own the market and don't plan on loosing their hold anytime soon.
Message 3 of 21
BenBisares

Personally I would stick with the Nvidia cards simply because they can help accellerate iray renders and MassFX simulations (For 3ds Max). Other than that it would be hard for me to reccomend one over the other since I've never seen or (unfortunately) can try to do a head-to-head with these cards.

Ben Bisares
Message 4 of 21
FalconCrest
in reply to: BenBisares

Hi Ben thanks for your feedback. I decided to stay with nVidia 🙂
Message 5 of 21
BenBisares

You're welcome. Hope you will enjoy your fancy new card 😉

Don't be shy to tell us how it handles.

Ben Bisares
Message 6 of 21
FalconCrest
in reply to: BenBisares

Just purchased, so far, so good. Drivers are up to date. I have to try some of the GPU cache features inside of Maya !
Message 7 of 21
klaudiofb

I'm also thinking to go with Titan Black but i kind of in doubt whether it's worth the extra money when compared to gtx780Ti.

What's you opinion about TitanBlack performance in Maya?  

When modeling, editing, making selections and everyting, not just simply navigate around, how dense meshes you
can have before viewport starts to lag?

Thanks! 

Message 8 of 21
FalconCrest
in reply to: klaudiofb

I haven't noticed too much of a difference over my 680 except in Mudbox which I use alot and push things to the limit. In that regard the Titan has lived up to it's expectations.

I haven't loaded any dense meshes, yet, I do have some. If you want, I can load them up and give you an update ?
Message 9 of 21
klaudiofb

Yes, that would help a lot. Just a few simple test in Maya using TitanBlack. 

Quick note:
Regarding performance, i am aware of the fact that with simply navigating/rotating around in viewport it's possible to have a LOT highter 
polycount without lags, but when it comes to actual working with meshes (selecting, editing, etc...) it's different story. 
So, if you can just run those test while doing some selection, calling marking menues, extruding...etc...nothing fancy just few simple
commands to test it.  
That would be huge help! 

Test for:
1. How many polys (or dense mesh) you can have in viewport (1 and 2.0) before you can notice some first signs of lag starting to happen?
2. Max.(upper limit) poly count were viewport slowdown already kicked in while working on mesh but it is still more or less workable (while armed with little bit of patience)? 

Thanks! 

Message 10 of 21
FalconCrest

I'll update in a day or two. I don't have a working mouse at present due to the USB receiver is interfering with something. I have the solution, not the part 😞 🙂

Message 11 of 21
klaudiofb

Ah, ok. No problem.
Take you time, but don't forget me here! 🙂

Message 12 of 21
FalconCrest

I changed my computer case, what a Job, cleaning, transfering everything from one case to another, seven hour Job.  Smiley Indifferent

I have a 24 million polygon mesh that is giving me extreme headache, that is a different story.  I loaded a four million polygon mesh with the Legacy viewport and Viewport 2.0, the viewport performance was 1FPS or 0.7FPS, very slow.  I would cap the density of the mesh at, without any actual testing at, 2.5 million polygons or less.  Performing any task, selecting polygons, soft selection etc was next to impossible with a mesh of 4 million polygons.  I may have a less dense mesh to test if you want ? Personally I have to manage polygon density a tad bit better when sculpting, sometimes you get lost in the design and then you're left scratching your head on how your going to get the polygon density down to work effectivtly and more importantly, finish the project.

Message 13 of 21
klaudiofb

Thank you very much for this! 😉

To be honest, i am totaly disappointed with results of "Performing any task, selecting polygons, soft selection etc was next to impossible with a mesh of 4 million polygons".  
With GPU card that alone cost now more then my current setup (MacBook pro - 2011...and not the strongest one on top of that) i was expecting at 4 million polys with no or very(!) little lags. 
Especially since in Maya's VP 2.0 i was not that long a ago modeling the car and at the end it was around 2 million polys. It wasn't plasent to work with that's for sure but it was still workable. 

With TITAN Black i was expecting around 5-6million to start some lags and viewport slowdown when editing and modeling and around 10+ million you would need to
arm yourself with a lot of patience. But at 4 million already hits the limit....huh 😞

Well, once again, thank you very much for this. Very helpful! 😉

Message 14 of 21
FalconCrest

I was surprised myself at the performance, I too was expecting better speed. It could be the internal code within Maya that needs an overall. If you use Maya extensively, don't go for the ultimate graphics card, you won't benefit.
Message 15 of 21
Anifex09

I will say this about Maya it can handle thousands and thousands of nodes and remain stable. I work on projects that use renderable curves to define internal parts. They can consists of 200 to 300 thousand curves and maya handles it with ease. I also have projects that consist of hundreds of thousands of parts that in sum are several million faces and maya handles beautifully. So yes it may not work well with something that is several million face as one object but, it is one of the most powerful tools I used for working with several million objects.
Message 16 of 21
FalconCrest
in reply to: Anifex09

That is the difference. Things may change soon with Maya then the four million mesh will run smooth 🙂
Message 17 of 21
klaudiofb

I was going for TITAN Black or Quadro K4000 since those two are about the same price. Now i wonder if K4000 can handle 
more polys and have better performance. 

Anyone with Quadro K4000 here, to run test or two? 🙂

Message 18 of 21
Anifex09

The only thing I have noticed that is different between a Quadro card and a Gamer card in Maya is the response time when selecting an object or a component.  I believe the reason is the quadro card has floating point calculations enabled.  This for me is a big deal so I use Quadro.

Message 19 of 21
klaudiofb

Which Quadro card do you have? 

Could you share some info about performance?  How many polys can you have with your card while modeling before viewport get noticable slower?  

Message 20 of 21
dgorsman

Thats an important point: expensive hardware is rarely a good subtitute for good data management.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report