Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP x64 or Vista x64

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
359 Views, 21 Replies

Win XP x64 or Vista x64

Having a system buit and I have a choice between XP x64 or Vista x64. I was wondering how many people are running Vista and what they think of overall performance and stabillity.

New system will be:

2.4 Ghz Core Dual Quad Q6600
8 gig Ram DDR2 800 Mhz
P5Q WS Intel P45 motherboard
Quadro FX1700 or FX3700 (Havent decided)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
dongray
in reply to: Anonymous

When I built my newest machine (September 2007) I installed Vista 64.
I really didn't have a lot of trouble, though there was some.
It did get much better after service pack 1.
I did have issues with viewport lagging even with a 768 mb card.
I finally (maybe a month and a half ago) formatted my drive and reverted to XP 64.
Though Max (2009 standard) is somewhat better (viewport performance) it isn't as dramatic as I expected.
If I had compared the two on the same machine (installed XP 64 first then Vista 64)
I probably would not have formatted the drive since I thought (think) Vista was (is) a step forward for windows,
for the most part. Most likely before too long I will be putting Vista back on this machine on a separate partition.
This may not be the experience of everyone.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

So what your saying is Vista x64 seems more responsive? I seen a lot of posts (older ones) where people seem to think that performance on Vista is quite a bit slower than XP. However talking with the guys who sell the hardware and know nothing about the applications we run, they recommend Vista as it has better support and in their opinion is more advanced than XP. Aslo say that XP wont be around much longer.

Anyone else want to chime in with their experiences?
Message 4 of 22
dongray

XP 64 (Max) viewport is more responsive (than Vista 64) in my experience but not as much as I had hoped.
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

Its a tough decision, XPx64 is getting harder to find. How do you find compatibility with 32 bit apps. I have other applications (AutoCAD 2002 is one) that run great on regular XP pro and was wondering if there will be any issues running them on XPx64.
Message 6 of 22
dongray

Don't know, maybe check out the discussion forums here
and ask there.
Message 7 of 22
companioncube

i have no issues with xp64, don is right about vista having lower frame rate with max. i have dual boot on one of machines which has vista64 and xp64 but vista is purely for games because of DX10.

if you niotice professional builders like Boxxtech have not started using Vista yet. and i was reading in 3D world that no studios have fully switched or not at all too vista because its not proven in production and the risk is too high to switch to another OS especially because theres no advantage.

xp and xp 64 are still as easy to get as they always were, even amazon.com and co.uk still sell it
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

Companioncube, Any comment son compatibility with 32 bit apps that currently work in XP pro?
Message 9 of 22
companioncube

all 32bit apps work xp64 i'm pretty sure, i don't think i've ever had any problems, all the games i had worked, photoshop, zbrush, mudbox, maya, anti virus etc all worked. i built both my home systems just because its really fun and a tiny bit cheaper, installed xp 64 on my own and tweaked it on my own reading from a tone of sites, and i've never had any problems. actually only problem i ever had was my 5 year old digi camera wasn't recognised but i just bought a £5 memory card reader.

i like a few things about vista, and like i said use it for gaming, but i just like xp64 a whole lot more and think it perfroms better, theres probably alot of people on here that use vista 64 and reckon its great, but i go from what industry is using, and microsoft have already shown what they think of vista by planning to release there next OS, windows 7, in early 2010 which really is that far away. i'm hoping i can pretty my bypass vista for workstation unless theres some amazing service pack that comes, xp64 wasn't that great on release and there were a tone of 64bit driver issues but sp2 release is great ,no driver issues and if you got a pc from the last few years it will work super!

i think people are too afraid of 64 bit computing, the sooner everyone switches over, the sooner it will get better and better, and then we can start thinking about 128 bit systems!
Message 10 of 22
dongray

There will be some programs that will not run on 64 bit operating systems, but these should say so on their respective product pages.
Except for the few that actually say they will not run on 64 bit systems, I don't think I had problems,
and as was mentioned above there has been driver improvements with the service packs.
The only program I can remember (though my memory isn't a very good indicator any more) is just this week,
I bought (got a half price deal) the Dragon Naturally Speaking program and didn't realize it is 32 bit only until
I read the manual after receiving the physical shipment. I didn't break the seal on the software and am returning it.
The owners say in their FAQ (which I didn't read before) that 64 bit computing is quickly growing and they are planning 64 bit support
but no announcement as of this time.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

Here is my one thing I know about Vista vs. XP in 3D. PC World tests show (with 3ds Max, Photoshop, and Nero), that if you have a slower, entry level dual-core, Vista will bog down your performance more than half! with heavy applications. When running Vista on a Q6600, the difference will be minute.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

So far it seems most people have been recommending XPx64 and no one yet has actually recommended Vista. I have to be honest, my brief hands on experience with the HP Media Center (off the shelf 2.5ghz Q9300, 8mb ram system which was returned last night) I kind of liked Vista 64 when installing apps. Opening Max 7 on the Vista took seconds whereby opening Max7 on my P4 3.2 ghz 2 gig ram on winXP takes a few minutes. It seems like a more advanced OS but I am hearing lots of people say performance is still an issue.

I have to make a decision ASAP.

I would really like to here from people running MAX or other 3D apps on VISTA 64.
Message 13 of 22
dongray

One possibility is to have XP 64 installed and buy a copy of Vista 64 and add that afterward.
The only reason to install XP first is that once you have Vista installed you will not be able to go back to XP (without a lot of trouble, if at all)
unless you format and put on XP first.
After engaging in this thread I'm thinking about putting Vista on today while I'm off.
Message 14 of 22
companioncube

Bjjames you can't really compare opening max on a vista machine with 2.5ghz Q9300, 8mb ram system to a Xp P4 3.2 ghz 2 gig ram system, it opened slowly because its a slow machine, on both my machines it opens in about 10 secs or under.

in the end just go with what ever guts telling you, any issues that vista having at the moment i'm surely will get better with sp2. i personally see with max the only difference is a lower framerate in viewport with vista, and i just don't like that vista was hogging alot of Ram because i usually am using most of my 8 gigs. plus with vista you get DX10 gaming which is why i have it as a dual boot on one of my machines. also Max is eventually going to have proper support for DX10 on vista which is going to mean some really cool stuff for the viewport.
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

Well... I have decided to order XP x64 with the new system. I figure that may ensure better compatibility with my existing legacy WinXP apps. Down the road I can aways upgrade. Thanks for all your comments.
Message 16 of 22
companioncube

its all good, hope you enjoy the new system, what graphics card you decide to go with in the end?
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

I know there are a lot of people who will disagree with my choice, but I ended up going with the Quadro FX3700 ($900). I came to this decision after reading through numerous posts and articles debating wether gaming cards were better than workstation cards. Because of the other applictions I'mm running (AutoCAD, Revit, XSI) The application optimized drivers for the Quadro seemed to be a good choice.

So far the system configuration is as follows;

Intel 2.83Ghz Q9550 12mb cache 1440 FSB
Asus P5Q-Delux MB Intel P45 chipset
8MB Ram DDR2
Quadro FX3700
4 x 500gb Seagate SATA drived RAID 0+1
LG Lightscrib DVD R/W
Neopower 650W PS
WinXP Pro X64
27" Samsung LCD (from my old system)

So far the total system is comming in at just over $2K excluding monitor
Message 18 of 22
companioncube

sweet system, graphics card is good choice
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous

System sounds pretty sweet. I'm building one of my own which will house the new Intel 920 i7 processor. I am also having to make a decision between Vista 64 and XP (either version).

The way I see it is this: I am upgrading, so I see Vista as a step forward. I want to run games as best I can so Vista sounds like a better option. Adobe Creative Suite CS2 Premium will need to work and Max 8 or 2009 will need to work. But this is where I am getting confused. Will 3Ds Max 8 work on Vista 64 with no problems? And will Adobe CS2 be ok?
Message 20 of 22
companioncube

not sure about CS2 but for max only max 9 with service pack 2 and above will work on vista.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report