Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Student Version information appear when I purchased a "Perpetual" License.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
7342 Views, 11 Replies

Why does Student Version information appear when I purchased a "Perpetual" License.

I contacted the business office of Autodesk today to inquire as to why my installation of Autodesk Maya ( educational version ) displays the following message every time I save a file.

"The file being saved was created by a Student Version of Maya intended for personal use only. If you save the file, this message will always appear whenever the file is opened."

I have been studying Maya for a bit over a year, and my new class in rendering and lighting required me to get the new version (2011) in order to open and work with files provided in the class. I used the 2010 version for a year and never got a message of this sort. The people at Maya said that there is no "faculty" version vs "student" version so I do not understand why I have to read this annoying message every time I save a file. It is making me crazy. The teacher of the class does not get this message when he saves a file that he is demonstrating to the class, and this makes me wonder if somehow I got the "wrong" version of Maya, somehow when I purchased it, or else it was registered incorrectly so that it acts as one of the "FREE" student licences that Autodesk is currently giving out, which expire after 13 months. I am very concerned about this because it is going to take me years to learn how to use this product and I do not want to be reminded every time I use Maya that I am a "student". I know that this is an educational version but it is really annoying to have to click a button EVERY time I save a file that says the file is a student version.

What am I not understanding. Why does this happen on my version, but not the teachers copy which is also the educational version?

Please help me to figure out how to get rid of this annoying window and to verify that my product is the correct version and is installed as a "PERPETUAL" License.

Thanks to anyone who knows the actual answer to this one.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm seeing this as well and it's really annoying, I'd really appreciate it if there is a solution.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

As far as I understand, you cannot turn this off. It's probably hard coded; I can't find an option to turn it off (thinking maybe "ignore version" would work, but it didn't).

You purchased an Education / Student license (or got the 13 month version); and these are strictly for non-commerical work. Thus, it's warning Anyone that opens it, that it's such.

Sorry.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

It's crazy though, now I'm using some referenced files that I also saved using the student version and now each time I save my scene I receive one popup message for the scene and one for each referenced file it seems.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Hello Onepower and Peligroso, you guys are not the only ones suffering from this dialog box. I too am having the same problem with Maya 2011 Sp1 Mac, and it's annoying that the dialog pops up every time I save. Onepower, it may be less annoying to hit "enter" than actually mouse clicking the button, that's what I do, "command-S" then "enter".

Peligroso, I'm having the exact same problem with file references. If I make 10 file references, every time I save my Maya project I have to hit "enter" 11 times. It's completely insane and I submitted the following bug report hoping that they fix this-

maya bug submission# 376050
nightmare - saving project files with file references on student maya

Hi guys, I'm on Maya 2011 SP1 Mac, the free 13 month student version. When I save any file, I get an annoying dialog box saying "Student version file", so in order to save the file I have to hit "command-s" then "enter". Saving is a two keystroke process. Annoying, but tolerable.

However, things get much worse when I start referencing other files. It pops up an additional "Student version file" when I save for each file reference.

Let's say I want to have 10 Ballie characters in my scene, but I want to follow the advice of the pros and use References of them instead of importing them. Well, now when I try to save my scene with 10 Ballies, I have to hit "command-S" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter" "enter". I save often, and this is completely unacceptable to have to hit enter an additional time for each item referenced. If I have referenced 100 different pieces of geometry, every time I have to save it's 102 keystrokes. I can hold down "enter" for a while until all the dialogs go away but it's still extremely annoying, pretty much making file referencing annoying at best and worthless at worst, in the student version. Please fix this, this is unacceptable.

Reproducible?
Yes

Open Maya, go to "File - Create Reference" to import geometry from some other file. Now do this again a few times to reference a few different files. Now try to save, and get annoying dialog box "Student version file", hit enter, another box pops up. Hit enter (or click continue), and another one pops up, and another. Have to hit enter the number of file references + 1. For example, if you referenced 20 different files, you have to hit enter 21 times to close the 21 "student version file" dialog boxes.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Onepower, I'm very interested in finding out how your teacher's copy of Maya 2011 doesn't do this but yours (and mine) does. What platform are you guys on? I'm on Mac using Maya 2011 SP1 on Mac OS 10.5.8 Leopard. I wonder if this is a Mac-only problem?

At any rate, the fact that you guys posted this to the forum means that you are seriously annoyed by it, just like me. As far as I'm concerned, file referencing is completely broken if I'm going to have to hit "enter" dozens of times every time I save a file.

I'm not sure how Autodesk prioritizes their bug-fixes, if they put more attention on the bugs that are reported by more people or not, but perhaps if you guys also submit bug reports (and label them as "critical") it may speed up the process of them fixing this? Here's the link that I use when I submit Maya bugs:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=12331406&siteID=123112&SelProduct=Maya
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Peligroso,

I found a workaround to kill the massive amount of popups every time I reference files from Maya 2011 Student. Save the file you are referencing as a Maya Ascii file, and open it with a text editor. Find and delete this line:

fileInfo "license" "student";

It was the 14th line from the top of the file in my project. After deleting it and saving the file, when you save your main file that references this one, all the extra annoying popups will not occur, and now you will only get ONE of those annoying popups when you save. Keep in mind that if you make any changes to the Maya file you are referencing and save again, the popups will be back again, and you will have to bring it back into a text editor and delete this line again.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you very much for that suggestion, I appreciate it 🙂
Message 9 of 12
whisper1

OK, I can understand AutoDesk wanting to be careful about student versions vs professional versions. Heck, it's $3600 or so difference in price and profits.
Still, every single time I open, save, or render?
How about just give us the pop-up when we first open the program?
Or give us an easy to find (like a tick box on the pop-up) way to turn the damn thing off!

The computers at the school don't have this pop-up, and I'm pretty sure that the college didn't buy a professional version for all 60 computers with the current budget crunches. So...
Is there an easy off? Where is it?
Is that ascii thing the solution? (Bearing in mind that I'm just getting started, where exactly should I be looking--pretend I'm an idiot(well, I say 'pretend', but that might not require much effort on your part, because there are times when I'm--never mind))
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

I'm pretty sure the computers at your school are running the "Educational" version of Maya. I have a bunch of referenced files in my scene. Since I do part of the work at home, and bring these files to school, I'm running into the same problem as well..

However, instead of deleting the line 'fileInfo "license" "student";', replace "student" with "education". This is essentially what happens for files that are opened in the Educational version of the software. As of now, I'm using this method and there seems to be no problem.
Message 11 of 12
aniketasinkar

THANK U
Message 12 of 12
conkerz

I'm pretty annoyed by these popups. But thanks for the suggestions. I doesn't seem like they're going away. I wonder if it would work to write a program that watches a folder with ma files and replaces the version line, as suggested in this thread.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report