Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Maya Composite? I can't find it in the Autodesk store.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
cwupsilon
1524 Views, 14 Replies

What's Maya Composite? I can't find it in the Autodesk store.

Hi is Maya Composite a plug-in for Maya?

Is it like Nuke?

I can't find it in the autodesk store.

I just saw it on an Autodesk tutorial on youtube and it looks interesting. Any information would be great.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Steve_Curley
in reply to: cwupsilon

Composite is what used to be called Toxik - it's a node-based compositor. It is provided with Max, Maya, SoftImage and the various "suites" and has been for several years/releases. You won't find it in the store because it's not available as a stand-alone product. It's not a plug-in - it's a separate program but requires an appropriate license for Max/Maya/SI.

It should be installed by default (it is with Max anyway), and it's only called "Maya Composite" because it's the Maya dev team who look after it.

If you want to see more "cool stuff" about it, check out the Blend & Comp blog on the Area. There's also a forum for it here.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 15
cwupsilon
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've got Maya 2013. Is the Composite accessable inside Maya 2013? If not, how can a get a copy of it?

Message 4 of 15
Steve_Curley

I'm not a Maya user so I can't really answer the first point. I doubt it though as it is a completely separate program - like Nuke or After Effects.
Try running your Maya installer again - with Max it gets installed by default, though IIRC you can deselect it. Also try searching your system for "composite.exe" (remember to include hidden folders in the search). And check your Start Menu - it may already be there and you just haven't noticed it.

A reply from a Maya user might be useful about now 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 15
DarrenP

its the same as 3ds Max its an optional install

maya2014.png

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
Steve_Curley
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks Darren - had an idea it would be, but couldn't be certain 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 15
cwupsilon

Thanks, so I'll uninstall Maya 2013. Renistall it and look for Maya Composite.

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 15
Steve_Curley

No - just re-run the installer. It will should tell you the installed options and allow you to install those which aren't. If it won't allow you install Composite then it's probably already installed.
Note that you can't have Composite on its own - you need Maya installed as well.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 15
cwupsilon

Hi, look I really hate going on about this, because it's so noobish and you must have better things to do with your time.

I put my Autodesk disc in and I just got this list of the contents on the disc. I don't know how to rerun the installer.

Can I just install 2014 and it will reinstall 2013 from the autodesk website, as that's all I'm liscenced to have, and during that process check the composite option?

Again, I'm sorry for my epic ignorance here. 

autodesk.png

Message 10 of 15
Steve_Curley

Double-click Autorun.

Can you confirm 2013/2014 (you mentioned both)? Maya+Composite is a "package" - the License for Maya 2014 won't work with Composite 2013 (or vice-versa) - they have to be the same release.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 11 of 15
cwupsilon

I've only got Maya 2013
Message 12 of 15
Steve_Curley

Then you should be ok, just re-run the installer. No need to go near the website - it should be on the dvd.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 15
cwupsilon

Hi. After all that, I reran the installer and it says Composite is installed!

Is the attached png Composite? If not I'm not sure where to find it.

Thanks for all the help and time you've given me.

composite.png

Message 14 of 15
Steve_Curley

No - that looks like the pre-compositing dialog (state sets (in Max)) - it's for use with After Effects (AFAIK anyway). Look up "pre composite" in the help for an explanation (at least that's where it can be found in Max). There's no direct access to Composite from within Max, as far as I know, so I assume it's the same with Maya.

As I suspected, and suggested earlier, it is already installed. Look in your Start Menu for Autodesk - it's probably in there (as a shortcut), or look in Explorer in your main Maya installation folder - I think Composite gets installed in its own folder within there (I force mine elsewhere so I can't recall where the default location is), or just search your system for composite.exe.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 15 of 15
DarrenP

the default location should be here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Composite2014

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report