Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Account Control

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
william.vollmar
1715 Views, 4 Replies

User Account Control

My 3ds Max 2015 icon now has a blue and yellow shield on it.  Ever since this has happened and even though I am signed on as the administrator, I have been having warnings that I am not allowed to save files into my normal location without administrator permission.  I searched this issue and the best I can find was to turn off UAC in the UAC settings box.  When the UAC is off, I can save files as normal.

I had recently converted my Vista to win 7 professional and reloaded my suite of max, mudbox and motionbuilder 2015.  Everything was working fine until I put in the last max update SP1 with security update.  Is there something in the update that set this off or should I be looking for something else.  I am not sure I want to keep my UAC off all of the time.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hello. Thank you for your forum posting. Please unload SP1, reset your 3ds Max UI and restart your computer. This will let us know if it is something in the SP that triggered this, however I have not heard of this yet. 

Here's how to reset your UI: 

Navigate to: C:\Users\matthej\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2014 - 64bit 

Rename the ENU folder to ENU.old 

I am going to close the case that was opened in our tech support Q and continuing helping you via the forum. 

Please let me know your results.

Message 3 of 5

Jonathan,

So I rolled back the max 2015 SP1.  With that unistall, the blue and yellow shield was no longer on the 3ds max 2015 icon.  I also went into the ENU file which I had to search for because I could not get to it by going to C:\Users\wrvollma\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3ds<ax\2015-64bit because the string ended at wrvollma where there was no AppData folder.  When I searched ENU, I found the string completely in the seach list and opened it.  The top folder was en-us.  This is the folder I renamed to en-us.old.  There was no ENU folder.  I restarted the computer and again I did not have the blue and yellow shield on the 3ds max 2015 icon.  I again searched ENU, got back to the string you gave me and there was now an en-us folder and an en-us.old folder.  Interestingly the old folder is about 1 MB larger than the new folder.

I have gone into max and have not had any of the warnings that I "could not save a file without administrator permission" and this is with UAC at it's recommended level of security.

Please review and let me know if my computer or the world will explode in the near future.  If all remains well as I am trading a new character back and forth between max and mudbox I assume I can go in and delete the en-us.old folder.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 5

Jonathan,

I forgot an important step.  After I restarted the computer and reopened max 2015, the autodesk updater popped up and said there were updates for my program.  There were two max 2015 SP1 installs available.  I installed the latest one from May 2015.  I again restarted max and am still clear of the blue and yellow shield and still no need to be the administrator warnings.

Message 5 of 5

Hello William-

I believe your computer will be okay now.  Seems like it was something to do with the service pack.  I would leave the en.us.old folder you created just case, in the slightest, something comes up in the future.  

Best Regards and happy modeling.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report