Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription version Maya 2015

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ict
Explorer
523 Views, 9 Replies

Subscription version Maya 2015

Hi Folks,

Currently running maya 2015 under the subscription package.

Am unhappy with one of the workstation software builds and would like to reinstall from scratch.

However there does not seem to be a way of preserving the licence file.

Advice from autodesk is simply to uninstall Maya 2015 (while connected to the internet), and the licence will return to the account, but is this the case?

I don't want to do a workstation rebuild, then find that there's a delay in activating Maya because there might be the chance that a manual activation may be required.

Any advice on this gratefully received.

Regards,

AC_ICT

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Steve_Curley
in reply to: ict

See if this helps:- http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support-topics/483/3386#LicenseTransfer

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 10
ict
Explorer
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi Steve,

No, while the license transfer utility is there in the subscription Maya 2015, it does not allow you to transfer the licence. KS
Message 4 of 10
Steve_Curley

It's not a direct transfer - it's an export (to Autodesk) then an import (from Autodesk). System has to be online to use it. I've used it many times (for Max) and it works fine. Sorry, I can't suggest anything else.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 10
ict
Explorer
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi Steve,

I guess the subscription version of max differs from the subscription version of Maya 2015/14, but the licence transfer utility states that "the licence transfer is not supported - the licence you are trying to export is associated with a licence model that does not support licence transfers " (see attached screenshot).

So I'm stuck.

If I uninstall, I hope that when I reinstall, that the licence will be available and not have to go through a delay if I have to use autodesk's request procedure for a manual activation - this is something I'm really keen to avoid..... .

ac_ict.

Message 6 of 10
Steve_Curley

Depends... LTU is for Stand Alone licences, if you have Network Licensing (employing a License Server) the mechanism is different. Mine is standalone and works fine - never used a license server (no point with only 1 license).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 10
philip.s

Hello AC_ICT,

To the best of my knowledge, desktop subscription / termed licenses are not transferable in the same way that a standard perpetual license is, which would explain why this is not working with the LTU.

In order to utilize the license on a different computer, all you would need to do is ensure that you are logged off / out of the software on 1, and then log into your Autodesk account on the other. Please feel free to let me know if you encounter any issues.

Message 8 of 10
dgorsman

You originally mentioned "... one of the workstation builds...", does that indicate multiple computers are in use?  If so, then investigating and investing in network licensing is probably in order.  Even if you don't do it right away then you'll have that knowledge to plan when other computers are added.  Among other things you can bake computer images for rapid re-installation of software, which cannot be done with other (local) license types.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 10
ict
Explorer
in reply to: philip.s

Hi Philip.

What I want to do is rebuild the workstation OS from scratch.

My concern is that if I do so, I'll lose the Maya license information.

Unlike Adobe, there seems to be no way of deactivating the install to preserve the license (which is rental - I think some folks may be under the impression we're running perpetual licenses).

Should also mention that due to NDA and security, internet access is not enabled on any workstation, except for admin access when the rental needs to check for validation.
Message 10 of 10
ict
Explorer
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi Degorsman,

Yes multiple computers are in use. However we're running Maya as Rental, not perpetual licences.

I am led to belive that the rental licence does not support network management, or even recovery drive images.

The software has to check in via the internet every 7 - 14 days to validate it (and I'd guess, check it's rental status with time left to expire).

Regards,

AC_ICT.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report