Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Component Selection in Maya

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
5178 Views, 15 Replies

Slow Component Selection in Maya

I'm running Maya 2011 and whenever I enter a component selection mode such as vertex or faces on objects with 35K polygons or more, viewport navigation (rotating, panning, and zooming the view) starts getting really slow and jerky, and selection of individual components (i.e. vertices, edges, faces) also has considerable lag. If I move my cursor over a vertex or face, it takes a while before the face highlights. If I try to drag a bounding box to make a selection, I have to wait several seconds before the bounding box actually shows, and when I release the button, it takes a while for the selection to be recognized. Using paint or drag selection tools are also really slow, and sometimes extraneous vertices totally outside where I've painted or dragged get randomly selected. I would have thought that with a first-class workstation graphics card, I shouldn't have issues like these; are my expectations too high? Is this just normal behavior that happens anytime your polygon count gets too high? I didn't think 35K quads was that high...

Details about my system:
CPU: core i7 860 2.8 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
GPU: ATI Firepro V8750, driver version: 8.702.3

Any advice or feedback from others who have similar experiences would be welcome. Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Same problem here, i have logged a bug report with Autodesk, no response. We are using Maya 2011 SP1. (repro on vanilla and HF1-3)

We are getting this one multiple machines in the office

Most common specs:

CPU: core i5 750 2.6 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia GTS 250 or 9800 GT, driver version: latest

Very very annoying, tried many hardware and driver configurations.
Message 3 of 16
MichielDuvekot3232

GPU: Nvidia GTS 250 or 9800 GT, driver version: latest

It would be tremendously helpful and make this information relevant to people viewing it later, if you posted the actual version of the drivers instead of referring to it as "latest".
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Sorry:
driver version: 258.96_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe

tried a few older ones also, same result.
Message 5 of 16
MichielDuvekot3232

Did you try version 197.45
Message 6 of 16
Christoph_Schaedl

a friend of mine had the same problem caused by his ani-virus software...
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 7 of 16
francoman

For me the lag is when I select or deselect an object and try to move the viewport cam. You can tell theres a lag also by looking at how long it takes for the name of the object you are selecting to appear in the rename option box in the status line. It should be pretty instant but not for me.

I had thought I'd managed to fix it by forcing off 'vertical sync' in the nvidia 3d settings..but the lag came back after about 10 secs...which is just plain wierd.

I've tried numerous drivers including 197.45.
Message 8 of 16
sim.on
in reply to: francoman

what you can try is to add these 2 lines of code into your "Maya.env"
that is what i sometimes add in my Maya.env , when i have problems with Geforce-cards on any computer .

MAYA_GEFORCE_SKIP_OVERLAY = 1
MAYA_NO_VERTEX_ARRAY_SELECT = 1

i am not 100% sure what the MAYA_NO_VERTEX_ARRAY_SELECT does , but it think , it might fix your problem .

-------
another thing i experienced on "HIGHRES_POLYGoN-MESHES" ( e.g. like 100 000 vertecies ) when selecting components : it can take quite some time to add e.g. some faces to the selection - and that seems to be because of the "UNDO"-stack , which always creates a NEW selection and saves to old one in order to do an UNDO lateron / each time , once you modify your selection ... and i personally experienced a "lag" of 3-10 seconds , in a former project .

then a collegue recommended me to "switch of" the UNDO in the preferences , and it helped .
Message 9 of 16
francoman

yeah tried that, still no fix. The issue I have is also with just a single sphere in scene.

Thanks though
Message 10 of 16
francoman

I wonder if theres a chance someone from autodesk will respond to this issue?
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I'm experiencing the same thing. I've compared the performance of earlier versions of Maya, and found that response time gets slower the newer the version is. Maya 7 is noticeably faster for me than maya 2011 or 2010. I also have a copy of XSI 5 (foundation) and it is snappy and light on it's feet by comparison, so something is definitely screwy with the more recent versions of Maya, especially when computers with far better specs than mine are lagging.

HP pavilion tx2617ca tablet pc
4GB DDR2
AMD Athlon X2 QL-62
ATI Radeon Graphics card
Vista Home Premium 64bit SP2
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

I'm glad to see some responses from others having the same issue.

I'll relate the latest developments on my end. I tried installing an nVidia GeForce GTX 460 and *did not* have this problem with the same 35K quad model that I was experiencing with it using the Firepro. There was no lag for face and vertex component selection, nor lagging in viewport manipulation with components selected, using drag or paint selection was smooth and rapid, and no extraneous vertices were selected. The same problems start to happen again on the GeForce, though, once I put in a more complex model of over 100K quads. So, on the GeForce, the threshold is higher, but I've been reading elsewhere that the new Fermi-based 400 series GeForces give much slower performance in Maya compared to previous generations.

I've also read complaints about ATI's OpenGL programming in their drivers before, with similar selection problems, so I reported my problem, along with a screen capture of the lagging, to ATI's Firepro technical support. They said they have received similar complaints from other customers and are working on a fix.

But now, looking at the responses here, I see people have the problem with older generation GeForce's as well, so maybe there is a combination of factors. Definitely, the ATI drivers need to be improved for working in Maya; but perhaps there are also problems on Autodesk's end as well. Hopefully if the Engineering Dept. at ATI finds some problems with Maya 2011 itself they can bring it to Autodesk's attention more effectively than we can.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Hello,
I'm having the same problem, in that whenever I try to select edge loops and faces by double clicking, it takes half a second for maya to respond. Also, after a few minutes of working in component mode, maya AND my whole computer would freeze for about 30 seconds.
At first, I thought this issue was due to my Firepro V5800's drivers, BUT recently I got a hold of a Quadro 600 (tesla) and the same issue was still happening. I'm now thinking this has to do with interference from other programs.
Here's my specs:

Maya 2010 32bit and 64bit
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T
8Gig 1600Mhz DDR3
Nvidia Quadro 600 and ATI Firepro V5800

This problem does not happen with my office workstation, even though it's a weaker machine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 14 of 16
jvongermeten

I'm not sure if this will help, but I've been experiencing this problem of late. You all have probably found the solution, BUT. I found that if you go to Edit > Delete by Type > History, things clear up and there's no more lag.

For what it's worth. 😄
Message 15 of 16
toughyguy
in reply to: jvongermeten

So for those who have been having trouble with component selection lag in Maya 2011 SP1, Windows 7 64, the solution I just discovered today was related to the anti virus protection software(mentioned in a previous post).  I had to add an exception in the anti virus software settings exclude the FLEXnet Licencing Service 64.  For some reason this was causing all the compent selection lag in the maya viewport.

Message 16 of 16
Arnab-Guchait

Well if any one is still using Maya 2011 and the problem persists, then do one thing:-

http://www.froyok.fr/blog/2011-12-frotools-a-maya-toolset-for-working-faster

Download and Install

froTools : froTools 2.3
lcRetopo : Leocov’s lcRetopo script

For installing this script you need to put the content of the folder “froRetopo” inside your maya folder.
(Ex : “My Documents\maya\2011-x64\”)

Write the command “froRetopo2″ in the MEL command line and press enter, or make a shelf button which call the command “froRetopo2″.

A new entry gets added on the side area.

Enjoy..work faster (y)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report