Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should viewport work better with 2 graphic cards?

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Leparakin
230 Views, 0 Replies

Should viewport work better with 2 graphic cards?

Hi there!

I have the intention to buy a new machine for rendering works, so I've been checking some threads (1, 2, 3, 4) regarding GPU and other technical issues in order to know for sure if implementing two cards on the motherboard would improve the viewport performance, but had no luck so far.

I'm aiming for a machine mainly like:

Motherboard ASUS Z87-PLUS + Intel Core i7 4771 3.5 GHz 8MB Cache

32 GB RAM 1866 Kingston HypeerX Genesis CL10

Geforce GTX 770 4GB INNO3D (iChill Black Refrig.)

Solid HDD

As far as I'm told and as I've read here, 3dsMax viewport efficiency depends on the GPU (Graphic Card), but some programs can work only with one card and I was wondering if this is the Max case. I usually work with heavy meshes +4M polys and when I use modifiers which can be animated, like Slice, over a big bunch of objects 3DS Max get frozen. Then, I've been wondering if an extra Graphic card could help out with this kind issue or not.

Also, I'd like to know if some specifications of pieces like RAM (latency and frequency) can really make a noticeable difference or not. I've been told that low latency is more important than high working freq, for example. Same happens to Microchip regarding Cache (8MB-10MB-12MB) vs. Frequency (GHz).

Aside from the topics above, I have a 1800-2000€ budget, so any recommendation about the build I've post (or any other, for example, ATI cards vs. NVidia ones) would be very welcome. As I stated, I want the machine mainly to make renders with 3DSMax, videos and applying VFXs to them through plugins like VRay, Phoenix (from Chaosgroup too), Krakatoa, FumeFX, etc.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention!

Best regards!

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report