Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling 3ds Max 2013 on top of existing installation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
remodeler8
280 Views, 3 Replies

Reinstalling 3ds Max 2013 on top of existing installation

Can I reinstall 3ds max 2013 on top of the existing install and not creaate problems by doing so?  It seems that my currently installed 3ds max 2013 has developed sluggishness and just generally doesn't seem as snappy as it used to be.  I am hesitant to uninstall what I have already in case I would run into problems installing it again.

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: remodeler8

Have you tried clearing your user settings first?
c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\[max version]\ENU
Close Max, rename that folder, start Max, let us know if it helped. Note. The AppData folder is Hidden - make sure you have Explorer set to "show hidden files and folders" or you won't find it.

I doubt the installer will let you install over the top, it will tell you it's already installed. Use the proper uninstaller to remove it, and rename (or remove) the ENU folder as above as well.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
remodeler8
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Steve,

I am not sure what you mean by renaming the ENU folder.  I am hesitant to do anything to it without knowing exactly how to do it.  I certainly don't want to make things worse.  Can you give me more information as to how I clear my user settings.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: remodeler8

ENU is just a folder like any other on your hard drive. Once you have it displayed (the folder itself, not the contents) simply right-click it > Rename. Type in a new name for it - "ENU.old" or something similar, and press enter. Max will not be able to find it and will create a new ENU folder with clean files in it. If that fixes your problem then there's the possibility that one or more of your old settings files was corrupt in some way. If it makes no difference, then you may want to proceed with uninstalling/reinstalling.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report