Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia Professional Cards

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Dadsgoosen
573 Views, 5 Replies

Nvidia Professional Cards

Hello everyone!

So I am looking to build a professional workstation and I do not know which of the two I will benefit most from:

1x Nvidia Quadro K6000 + 1x Tesla K20 or K40 (Maximus)

OR

2x Nvidia Quadro K6000 (SLI)

The workstation will primarily be used for 3DS MAX rendering for both stills and animations.

Can anyone help me on this subject?

Thanks in advance

David Soerensen

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Dadsgoosen

Max doesn't support SLI, but GPU renderers like Vray or Iray can take advantage of multiple GPUs. Remember that the the GPU with the least RAM will dictate the size of scene you can render, so don't buy "dual GPU" cards where the RAM is shared (half each).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6
Dadsgoosen
in reply to: Steve_Curley

So what you are basically saying is that when rendering scenes in 3DS MAX with SLI graphic cards you will not benefit much from that?

Message 4 of 6
Steve_Curley

No, I'm saying Max does not (cannot) make use of SLI. Period. You can have 2 cards, but not SLI'd.
What it does on a system which has SLI'd cards I have no idea. It's unsupported, so I doubt many have even tried. It probably sees only the 1st card.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 6
Dadsgoosen
in reply to: Steve_Curley

So being completly honest I do not have any knowledge on this subject concerning what will be the fastest.

My end goal is to have a machine that can render as fast as possible with either v-ray or iray. What is your suggestions then?

Looking at something like a Titan Z or the Quadro+Tesla combo?

Message 6 of 6
Steve_Curley

Sorry - never even looked at such cards as they're well out of my price range (hence using a reasonably good consumer card). I don't know enough about them to offer an opinion.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report