Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental Ray and GPU cards

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
5559 Views, 6 Replies

Mental Ray and GPU cards

Ok, so what are my options considering mental ray and GPU cards?
In fact there are some things i havent quite understand:
Does CUDA help Mental Ray during rendering? What part of a gpu card helps in viewport visualisation? Does it worth to buy a Quadro card (cause are too expensive)? Do quadro cards help only in visualisation issues or help in rendering too? Can I do the same job with a high end gaming card?
Please help me, I m not getting along with computer specs I just wanna work 3ds max and all CS suite with a card that worths buying 😉
thank u in advance and i apologise for this subject that has come over and over on these forums

ps. im planning also to use VRAY so consider that as a fact too 🙂
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
samab
in reply to: Anonymous

Your GPU is not used at all for rendering with mental ray. It can be used for rendering with iray or quicksilver and is used for your viewports in Max.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: samab

Glad I cleared that out 🙂 So the only thing that I care when buying a GPU card is its memory only? And why to invest on a quadro then only for visualisation purposes? thank u very much!
Message 4 of 7
Doughboy12

Much of that has been discussed in various threads in here as well as other sites. You will get many answers and much information by searching and you will ultimately have to decide. I can say the in the past people who were using Adobe products didn't have much luck with non Quadro cards. I don't know what the latest is with that, it has been a year or so...
I can suggest that you must also consider speed and durability when spec'ing out a card.
3ds Max 2012 Certified Professional
Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit
Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67 x2 36GB
3ds Max 9 - 2013

So since i dont use the CUDA function with MR it would be better to go on quadro i guess. Do u happen to know if Quadro 600 (is one of the cheapest) is good enough for professional use? Imagine now im working with an ATI 4870 HD 1 GB ram and i dont complain much 😛
thank u
Message 6 of 7
Doughboy12

Just browsing the spec's I would say the one you have is a better card already but not by much. They seem to be the same except for the memory interface. But I am NO expert.
3ds Max 2012 Certified Professional
Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit
Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67 x2 36GB
3ds Max 9 - 2013

thanulee, if you own ati 4870 you have the maximum fps in viewports that 3d studio Max up to 2012 can utilize. If you want more fps, get faster CPU. All added GPU power will be wasted for Max viewports.

Getting quadro 600 will lower your viewport fps by 20-30%. However, you will be able to use it in both iray rendering and Adobe Premiere CS5 since it is an nivida card.

However, if you care about Premiere, you should get decent card like gtx 560. Refer to this site to find our what GPU's are actually supported and why.

If you care about iray (you do arch viz previews), you should consider getting gtx 580 with 3gb of ram. Iray uses all available GPU cores (unlike Max/Premiere), and needs video ram for same reason regular scenes need regular ram. If you do high resolution rendering 2k+ with multi milion poly scenes, you should get a real quadro card since they have a lot of ram. Quadro 6000 with 6gb of ram is the only version worth above gtx 580.

Two things to look out for:

1) You really should try to use Premiere cs5 right now, and decide if you need more speed. Its pretty snappy even without a cuda capable card on a modern quad core system.

2) While here, you should also try iray, as it is now. It has many many many limitations, so you might find yourself not using it at all.

If both 1 and 2 are true for you, getting an upgrade for ati 4870 will serve no noticeable purpose if you don play games as well. Gtx 560 is about 2x faster than 4780 so games will play noticeably faster. (only true if you game in full HD or higher)

Im using mental ray and i ll be using Vray soon. What do i have to consider?

Mental ray cares only about your CPU. Get as fast one as you can get. Dont run out of ram. Render.

Try vray. Pick the better renderer for you. Render. Good luck 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report