Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya hangs when trying to open a file or sourceimage

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
halfstone
3404 Views, 4 Replies

Maya hangs when trying to open a file or sourceimage

I'm thinking this may be a hardware problem, but wanted to check here first.  

I have Maya installed on my C: drive, which is a 500 gb SSD drive - very fast.  I'm working in a project on that same drive.  I have a few other drives connected to my computer that are not SSD. 

When I need to access outside files, Maya will hang for ten or fifteen seconds or more - for example, if I want to set my project I click on File->Set Project; I get the outline of the window with no contents and I wait.....wait.....it's a full 15 seconds sometimes before the contents are displayed. 

This happens any time I have to access the outside filesystem - setting the project, creating a project, loading an image plane from the Sourceimages directory, or even opening a new scene file. 

This was happening with Maya 2014 before I upgraded my hard drive; I was using the default internal SATA drive that came with my computer.  (HP Z400 workstation - on the "approved" list).  I replaced the drive and reinstalled the OS and a fresh installation of Maya 2015, but it still happens.  

I should say that I formatted and re-connected this SATA drive as an internal storage drive; I also have an external SATA drive and a USB-3 travel drive connected.  Is it possible that Maya is waiting for these drives to "wake up" before displaying my C drive contents?  

If I don't get a satisfactory answer here, I will go through the process of systematically disconnecting these drives and testing to see if that's indeed the case, but I'm hoping that there is some kind of environment variable I can set that will help this issue.  

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long post.  

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
santd
in reply to: halfstone

Hello,

Thank you for posting to the Autodesk Forums.

In regards to the hangs that you are experiencing. I have not come across an issue like this when accessing files from a local drive however, I have seen an issue like this when attempting to access a network drive. Maya will take about 5 seconds or so to display the contents of the folder.

On thing that may help you is to switch to the OS file browser instead of using the Maya one. You can do this by using the following steps:

1. Go to Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences
  2. On the left hand side select Files/Projects.
  3. Under File Dialog switch from Maya default to OS native and see if this helps.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 3 of 5
halfstone
in reply to: santd

David - 

Thanks so much for your answer.  I was not aware that this was an option.  I did what you suggested, and the initial results are good - I've tested opening files and importing images/image planes/textures from various drives and it seems pretty quick - no hanging whatsoever.  Just to test further, I changed the preferences back to the Maya browser and immediately experienced the 20-second hang again.  

Just to reiterate - the project folder and the software installation are both on a 500 gb internal SSD drive, which is lightning fast in nearly every other instance.  

A workaround is fine for me here, but I'd be curious to know the real root of the problem.  Any thoughts?  

Message 4 of 5
santd

Hello halfstone,

It seems that the main cause of the issue is related to the fact that the Maya browser uses Qt. It is something that our development team is aware of and is working to improve.

Usually the issue is only present in folders with a high number of files.

I hope that helps better understand the problem.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 5 of 5
alessandro_AM

And after 8 years and 8 releases (not counting service packs), I'm *happy* to report the issue is still there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report