Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2015 -- Student issues (random crashes)...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
RealJonThor
1532 Views, 5 Replies

Maya 2015 -- Student issues (random crashes)...

Anyone try out the Lighting or Bone tool in Maya 2015?

I am using a Windows 8, so whenever I use either the Lighting or Bone tool, not sure if other tools may also cause crashing, but whenever I use two two, it crashes.

Any issues with Maya 2015 (Student Version) you guys are aware of?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
j.walczak1
in reply to: RealJonThor

Okies...I haven't used 2015 yet so this isn't specific to that version however...

I would ask...is this problem happening consistantly or only with a specific project?  In other words, can you create a new scene, maybe put a textured cube in it along with a light...does that cause a crash as well?  If it's just happening with the one project, you may have some corrupt data in the scene file.  Is it a large project?  Are you using a lot of lights or something?  What render settings are you using? Have you tried running this project on a different computer with 2015?  Any other programs causing crashes?  Not saying that it couldn't be a bug in 2015 but I'd honestly look elsewhere.  A few more details there may be helpful...

Beyond that and in general, assuming you did a fresh, proper install from the git-go, the first thing I'd suspect would be the computer itself or Windows 8.  Maya can be a particularly resource intense program, especially once you start applying lighting and shading and such.  To give you an example, I recently did a commision where the person wanted a hallway of the local community college.  I had just done some repair work on my computer...one of the CPU fan clips broke and I was having a problem with my PC over-heating a bit (it was also causing Adobe Illustrator and particularly Adobe Premiere to crash...lots of reboots and BSOD's in XP64).  After the repair, I installed a CPU temp monitor so I could keep an eye on things.  Up till that hallway project in Maya, the system was humming along nicely for a few weeks at a very pleasent 125 degrees f.  When I started rendering images on that project, that CPU core temp jumped over 160 degrees (I think she peaked at 167)!!! 

Likewise, I would also make sure your system has a decent amount of RAM and particularly video RAM.  Windows 8 don't mean much in that regard (other than being another bad joke on the part of MicroSoft)...you're system has a good 8 gigs of RAM and at least 4 gigs of vid ram, yes?  Again Maya = resource intensive...make sure you're computer is physically up to the challenge.

Also...this should be common sense, but you don't have a lot of otherwise useless crap running in the background? You said you're running Windows 8 and from what I've heard, that program is really geared towards "social networking" and other such gibberish.  This is gonna sound a tad harsh but it never ceases to amaze me when people have idiotic desktops, screen savers, IM, Facebook, Twitter and all this other stuff running on their computer...then don't understand why their programs just won't run properly.  Right now this system has audio drivers and my graphics tablet drivers loaded...that's it...no screen savers, no "themes", no chat programs...nothing.  Maya = resource intensive...turn all that other stuff off.

Okies...hopefully that will give you something to get you going and hopefully someone will come along with a bit more knowledge.

Good luck!

Jim

Message 3 of 6
jtownsend1190
in reply to: RealJonThor

Havent seen any updates on this, but has anyone found a fix? I have same exact issue heres some additional details

like original post happens with lighting, cameras, and skelton/joint editing (sometimes in bi-ped animation as well)

at first thought it was a bad install, wipped install with revo pro (it deleted all traces including registry and folders once maya unistall was done)

still same issue

does not matter what scene I work in

have a decent computer I am working with and less than a year old (I upkeep on it so no issues with maintence or repair)

Specs at a glance

8gb ddr3 ram

dual video card (intel i7 quadcore and amd radeon 2gb dedicated memory)

as stated above intel i7 quadcore processor

1tb hdd

also on maya 2015 SP2

so what ideas does anyone have to even begin fixing this issue? I will be moving to a mac book pro once this years new one is released (the late year one) but I still need to work within windows for now.

Any and all help is much appriciated and will update with any questions asked if any are.

*also have ran both kaspersky and avira anti-vir on here so not a virus protection program issues

Message 4 of 6
Mishkawy
in reply to: jtownsend1190

Hi,

I have the same issue, and I have been searching all over the internet for a solution.. none found.

Kareem

Message 5 of 6
jtownsend1190
in reply to: Mishkawy

No, there appears to be no work around. Maybe everyone with issue should start listing the version as well as what OS and their pc specs to see if we can find a common demonator. In the mean time I found a slight work around is to save often then upon crash load up after about 3-4 crashes it seems to let me get a bit further....horrible for school work though.

Message 6 of 6
Mishkawy
in reply to: jtownsend1190

Hi,

Check this one, an Autodesk employee says that they are not able to reproduce the crash and that the issue can be in our graphics drivers:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-general/maya-2015-crashing-when-selecting-camera/m-p/5312859#M208...

Anyway my specs are:

Ram: 8GB DDR3

Processor: AMD FX-6100 Six Core processor 3.30GHz

Windows 8 64 bit

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700. (driver is up to date)

Thanks,

Kareem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report