Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2011 Student Version Crash on startup

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
915 Views, 6 Replies

Maya 2011 Student Version Crash on startup

Hi there,

my machine:
RAM: 12GB
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS
NVIDIA Driver version: 190.53

I recently got my "Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2011". I installed Maya 2011 hotfix 3 and after flawless installation I'm stuck with an annoying error message.

The file being saved was created by a Student Version of Maya intended for personal learning only. if you save the file, this message will always appear whenever the file is opened.

The shell from which I started the maya command prints out a Signal 11 - maya encountered a fatal error

This dialogue box is giving me two choices:
1. click Continue, which crashes Maya immediately
2. click on Cancel which transforms the dialogue into a error message, with an OK button, which says Could not save file "/usr/tmp/anton6.20100929.1407.ma" -> Clicking OK afterwards also crashes Maya immediately

Only Maya is trying to make my day very bad. Composite and MatchMover are starting up as expected.

The most interesting thing is that this error only appeared after I got my "second" educational license.
My reseller mistakenly assigned my first purchased license to someone else, so I didn't received the "Autodesk Registration & Activations" E-Mail. They realised their fault, called me that they're sending me a new license that actually runs on my name. I actually got the second DVD Box with my new license, tried to install it and this is the point where the trouble listed above started.

The first educational license installed fine and did not showed me this warning dialogue box.
I think I have to actually call my reseller.

I will keep you updated!

Greetings!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
warnold1
in reply to: Anonymous

the crash could be the result of incompatible preferences. move your current ones aside and try runing with default prefs.

or

OpenGL configuration. check that the info from glxinfo looks reasonable, Nvidia driver, direct rendering, with lots of visuals the current 259.53 Nvidia driver is known to work

to get more info on where Maya is crashing you can run Maya under gdb and get a stack trace with the gdb command bt

maya -d gdb
r
<then when it crashes, gdb will regain control>
bt

to get the current thread stack trace

q to quit gdb

the stack trace can usually help point one in the correct direction

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hello warnold,

I got it fixed now. Thank you for the tip! I installed the new NVIDIA drivers and Maya almost works as expected.
There is still an issue with the textCurves tool. It wants some fonts, but I don't know which ones.

Is there a simple "yum install fontXYZ" command to solve this problem?

Message 4 of 7
warnold1

yum install xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 5 of 7
warnold1

on re-reading, you're asking about the Nurb text tool. Maya supports pfa printer font ascii files for postscript type1 fonts.

Maya 2011 will look in the following directories for the *.pfa files

"/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript",
"/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1",
"/usr/share/fonts/Type1",
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1",

if the fonts are elsewhere, creating symlinks, or copying may be in order
if you only have the binary files installed *.pfb will need to convert the binary to ascii format

for couri.pfa on RHEL 5 its

yum install xorg-x11-fonts-Type1-7.1-2.1.el5.noarch

from Fedora 7 on some of the older fonts have been remove due to licensing, courier is one of them. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=317641 you can manually copy them from an RHEL 5 machine if you want and have access.

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 6 of 7
goldwater1
in reply to: warnold1

Hi, my PC is
MS: WDDM1.1, Version 7.14.10.0018
CPU: Intel Core (TM) 2 Quad Cpu Q8400@2.66Ghz
RAM: 4G
O/S 32 bit, Window 7 Home Edition Service Park 1#

I have a the problem as the one posted by "ANR" in 2010. I got a pop up message almost everytime when I click on the icons:
"The file being saved was created by a Student Version of Maya intended for personal learning only. If you save the file, this message will always appear whenever the file is opened."

Even though I am not savings the file, the above message pop up so frequently that makes me so inconvenient to continue to work on Maya 2012. I am a student and new to this program, I need to learn that.
Could you please see if you could give me some advice on tackling with is "annoying message".

Thanks so much
Message 7 of 7
Cornelius3D

****EDIT****
I finally got both Maya 2011 and Maya 2012 running with all the respective functionality and windows working..

The problem was I had installed Python 2.6 on its own for other projects months before installing any Autodesk products. There were environment variables set by Python namely: PYTHONHOME and PYTHONPATH..
I read this post:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/python-problem/

which stated there should be no such environment variables set .. so I deleted them. Upon running Maya 2012 everything seems to be working.. when I assign a new material to an object, the Material Picker appears; when I try to launch the Plugin Manager, it appears..

Thank you for your help.
It's a shame that Python and Environment Paths can screw up Maya so terribly. I hope this will help others with similar problems.

Cheers,
C3D

----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm getting a crash on start up before the UI ever launches.

I just uninstalled the student version I downloaded yesterday and installed the hotfix 3. When I run Maya I get a blank output window, and the small splash screen.. followed by the standard Windows 7 crash popup "Maya application has stopped working.. check online for solutions or close program."
The UI never launches.

My computer is new as of Feb 27th 2011
i7 950 3.37GHz
Win 7 64
6GB RAM
nVidia GTX 460 with 260.99 drivers installed in Oct/2010

Should I install the newer nVidia drivers or go back to older ones? What else can I try?

Cheers

EDIT>>

OK so I have now installed the new nVida drivers 275.33,
I have disabled the Win 7 firewall,
disabled my AVG Online Shield and Resident Shield,
I had a look at the Environment Variables of which I have
PATH
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\bin;
C:\csvn\bin\;
C:\csvn\Python25\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;
�Sy;stemRoot%\system32;
�Sy;stemRoot%;�Sy;stemRoot%\System32\Wbem;�SY;STEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\;
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;
C:\xampp\php;
C:\xampp\mysql\bin
I don't know if the is correct or if I need additional variables somewhere else, or perhaps remove something...

What is the major malfunction here??
It's driving me mental... What else can I try?
I'm pretty sure Obi Wan is not my only hope. Please help me out here.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report