Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2009 video problem on Apple Cinema Displays?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
132 Views, 5 Replies

Maya 2009 video problem on Apple Cinema Displays?

We have three Windows systems in our lab with 20" Apple Cinema Displays and are having a very obnoxious flashing/strobing problem when rotating images in Maya 2009. No problems with the 19" Dell displays. I don't see how it could possibly be monitor-related.

nVidia QuadroFX 1700 video cards, Windows XP 32-bit SP2, nVidia driver v169.96

When I open the nVivia control panel it will actually lock up when I try and adjust the settings. I switched the refresh rate from 60Hz to 59Hz, which seemed to fix the problem, but now its happening again. Don't LCD displays NOT have a refresh rate?

I'm stumped...
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
n8skow
in reply to: Anonymous

LCD's are typically set for 60hz (for the backlight display) - but aren't directly comparable to CRT's in this regard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

Hard to diagnose what your seeing without actually "seeing" it...
Can you further define the 'strobe' effect your seeing?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I'm not sure if I can describe it any better. Its not consistent at all. Everything could be fine for 10 minutes then it goes screwy again. Its only in the Maya application window...where the whole window breaks up into segments that alternate between white and whatever is up on the screen.

If I switch the refresh rate the problem goes away for a few minutes, then comes back again. Also, if I open the nVidia control panel during one of these episodes it will crash and I have to shut it down from the task manager.

This only happens on the workstations with Apple displays. If I put a Dell display in its place everything is fine (this is with the qualified nVidia driver, v169.96).

As an experiment I removed the nVidia driver and re-installed an older version...the one that came with the workstation from the factory. Problem gone! This was v162.55 and was not even on the nVidia Web site (had to go directly to Dell).

Anyway...this was really strange. I'm going to let AutoDesk know about it for sure.
Message 4 of 6
n8skow

Yes, very strange indeed.
Please update this thread if you come to a solution.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I already did!

Reverting back to the version of the nVidia driver that shipped with the system (v162.55) made the problem go away. Prior to that I tried the LATEST driver, which did not have any effect.

Clearly it is driver related, and the bottom line is the Autodesk qualified driver did not work properly with the QuadroFX 1700 and the 20" Apple displays.
Message 6 of 6
n8skow

yes, sorry, I meant with the 169.96 driver...
In the meantime - glad you found a work-around.

I already did!

Reverting back to the version of the nVidia driver that shipped with the system (v162.55) made the problem go away. Prior to that I tried the LATEST driver, which did not have any effect.

Clearly it is driver related, and the bottom line is the Autodesk qualified driver did not work properly with the QuadroFX 1700 and the 20" Apple displays.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report