Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 3ds max in my dead hard drive. What do I do now?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
64bit_Dude
389 Views, 1 Reply

Lost 3ds max in my dead hard drive. What do I do now?

Hi,

My computer has 2 hard drives: Drive C has the operating system on it ( windows 7 ) and drive D has 3ds max. Drive D just died so it's to late to make a clone of it so I pulled it out and I'm waiting for my new SSD to come in the mail. Even with the drive out windows still thinks all the Autodesk software is still installed. I see in the contral panel that there are a bunch of Autodesk software besides 3ds max even though I just have Max. Some of it however is on the C drive like Backburner and others on the D drive like Max.

I don't know besides Max whats missing and whats still here so should I just wipe out Autodesk completely from my computer and reinstalled Max on my new SSD that will come in the mail soon?

I also lost my student licences which is a bigger problem. Can I just simply type in the serial number and product key again when I install it on my new SSD or will it give me a hard time that it's already been activated?

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
darawork
in reply to: 64bit_Dude

Hi,

I would use something like IObits Uninstaller in advanced 'Force Uninstall' mode to see if it can get rid of the Autodesk programs, or what's left of them.

Then use CCleaners registry scanner to remove even more. If they don't shift the /users/yourname/appdata(folder is hidden, you need to show hidden files and folders to see it)/local (and roaming)/autodesk folders... you'll need to manually delete them too.

Regarding the licencing issue, you'll just have to see if it works. I think there is a 3 year time limit on Student versions? AutoCad software may think you are trying to reset this period, hopefully not. More likely that the 3 year time limit is tied to the serial number instead, and you should be able to activate as before.

If not you can contact the licencing dept for your product here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=18270111

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report