Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Stand-Alone Backburner installer to match changes in SP5

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
roy_baker
859 Views, 8 Replies

Looking for Stand-Alone Backburner installer to match changes in SP5

Autodesk,

Please post a stand-alone Backburner installer to match the changes in SP5. Your new SP5 updates makes all jobs submitted to the Render Farm state "Missing Plug-in" and fail to render. Due to this issue we cannot install SP5 and must remain on SP3. My Backburner manager does not have the full install of 3ds Max, rather I only install Backburner.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bobweb
in reply to: roy_baker
Message 3 of 9
roy_baker
in reply to: bobweb

Do you know if that Backburner download includes the SP5 updates? I looked in the zip file and the installer is dated back to December 2013 so I highly doubt it since SP5 came out on March 10.

Message 4 of 9
bobweb

I am sorry, I do not know about that - but as you already stated according to the dates it is very unlikely, yes. Hopefully someone from Autodesk comes by to clarify.

Message 5 of 9
VishnuR

Hello,

If I understand your question correctly > the standalone backburner updates are older.

The 3ds Max Product Updates ( with backburner fixes ) are newer/more recent.

So get the most recent updates to ensure you have all latest fixes.

3ds Max 2013 Product Update 6 includes all previous Product Updates for 3ds Max 2013.

That should also cover your backburner updates.

Just be sure it's the same version on all computers.

Differences in versions/updates can cause issues.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-3ds-max-2013...

update-6.html

3ds Max 2014 Service Pack 5 has a number of fixes are per its readme > some cover backburner issues.

So be sure it's same version update on all computers.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-3ds-max-desi...

service-pack-5.html

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 6 of 9
roy_baker
in reply to: VishnuR

Um Vishnu I don't think you get it.

First of all why do I care about Max 2013? Secondly As I stated in my original post I do not install the full version of Max on my Backburner Manager, I only install Backburner. Thus I need an up-to-date stand-alone installer for Backburner to match 2014 SP5. Also you cannot run the SP5 update unless the full version of 3ds Max is installed so it's no good to me on the manager.

Message 7 of 9
VishnuR

Hi Roy,

My bad, thanks for clarifying your situation.

Just checked with some internals  and here are details:
There is no "Backburner 2014 SP5" version. 
Backburner in the original 2014 release works with 3ds Max SP5.  We specifically did not make BB dependent on SP5.

If someone requires latest BB with the latest bb fixes it is available here but they don’t have to upgrade it:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/backburner-2014-windo...

I have some users who just do a full install of both max and all updates, on their managers, just no need to activate the license on it.

Let us know if that helps.
Best Regards

VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 8 of 9
roy_baker
in reply to: VishnuR

When I installed SP5 on our test workstation the Backburner Manager completely ignored its submissions stating "No plugin available to handle job." Clearly the new updates in SP5 are not compatible with the Stand-Alone Backburner from December 2013 and earlier. 

Here is what I have tested to far:

1. Reinstalled the Stand-Alone Backburner on the Manager to insure latest stand-alone version is installed.
  2. Installed SP5 on Workstation.
  3. Submit job to manager with failure "No plugin available to handle job."
  4. Deleted Backburner from Workstation and installed latest Stand-alone. 
  5. Submit job to manager with failure "No plugin available to handle job."
  6. I had to uninstall Max and reinstall with SP3
  7. Submit job to manager and "success"

So clearly no SP5 updated machine can submit to a Backburner Manager that was installed as stand-alone. The only solution is to perform a full install of Max on the Backburner Manager so it can run SP5 or don't update any workstations to SP5. Since I am not going to install a full Max on my manager server the latter of the solutions is preferred.

This has never been a problem in the past with service packs. I can't belive Autodesk would make updates to SP5 that make submissions incompatible with their stand-alone Backburner. How hard is it to create a new Stand-Alone installer to normalize your updates? I don't mean to rant but this is yet another example of how it seems Autodesk treats Render Farms and Backbuner like unwanted step children. 

Message 9 of 9
VishnuR

Hi Roy,
Its good you present previous info and steps about your specific install process/setup.

First thing to note is the officially tested setup for backburner is to have a Both 3ds Max and backburner on all machines participating

In the network render.  Not just backburner on manager machine or render slaves.
*Full install of 3ds Max + backburner on: 3ds Max workstation, render slaves, manager .

I've verified this with our development team here.
Backburner manager installed without 3ds Max , is risky.

Next important thing is to verify it’s the exact same version of 3ds Max + backburner, on all.
Differences in versions, service packs, etc will cause issues.

Example: submitting a bb job through SP5 to SP3 machine can cause problems.
Consistency in versions is important on manager, render slave, 3ds Max workstation.

That all being said > try tips below.

Tip#1)

Please verify below is done on:

-The computer submitting backburner job

-The backburner manager computer

1.Open the Start Menu and right click on Computer - Select Properties

2. Select Advanced system settings.

3. In the Advanced tab, select Environment Variables.

4. Select > New System Variable

5: Add below values:

Variable Name: MIX_MAX_DESIGN_BB

Variable Value: 1

Tip#2)

If first tip does not  work: install full 3ds Max + SP5 on the manager machine.
No need to activate license on manager computer.
Verify its same updates, service packs,et  on all other computers also.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards/VR

Vishnu Ramdass

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report