Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your using a Mac Pro to run Maya, how much memory do have installed ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
140 Views, 3 Replies

If your using a Mac Pro to run Maya, how much memory do have installed ?

i was wondering, if your using a Mac Pro to run Maya, how much memory do have installed ? Why? Have you seen any patterns in efficiency with regards to speed or slowness in terms of rendering? have you found a memory "sweet spot"? what version of Maya are you running?

from speaking to Autodesk technical support, i've found that on the OS X side of things, they have no concrete advice in terms of how much memory is ideal for Maya when working in the viewports or when rendering. after many conversations with Autodesk, i'd be very surprised if they spend any time at all optimizing Maya for OS X and apple hardware. very sad knowing you just spent $6000 for software that is suppose to be optimized for OS X and apple hardware.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
n8skow
in reply to: Anonymous

Not real sure what your getting at here...
If your hitting memory limitations, then adding more memory will help.

What makes you think your current rig isn't reaching it's full potential?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: n8skow

xxxxxx
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: n8skow

well, i just sold my rig a week ago and the plan is to order a new 2010 Mac Pro on Monday. i'm also thinking about going Windows 7 with Maya 2011. reason is because Autodesk doesn't seem to keep pace with OS X updates and the latest Apple technology as well as they do with Windows 7.

every time i talk to technical support, they don't have much to say in terms of Maya for the mac. last time i asked, technical support didn't even have Maya running on a Mac Pro. how are they suppose to help me if they don't even have a similar rig (i've noticed that many bugs are due to mac hardware and osx software issues) ? and bugs never seem to get fixed until the next Maya release. that being said, i want my new rig, if i decide to buy a Mac Pro, to be configured optimally to run Maya 2011, even though it isn't qualified to run on a new Mac Pro, or the 2009 Mac Pro, or OS X 10.6.4.

i have found with a lot of other video, audio, graphics, and visual effects software that i use, that there is an optimal amount of memory that the application can benefit from. for example, a few applications that i use see diminishing performance increases with more RAM because many applications don't use all the bandwidth available.....

what i would really like to know is what version of Maya your running and how much memory you have installed in your computer if your using a Mac Pro?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report