Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I wasted my money ?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Nudist
511 Views, 6 Replies

Have I wasted my money ?

I have upgraded to a new Mac Pro with Dual AMD D700 GPUs I have installed Firepro plugin and configured it for 3D max 2011 on Windows 8. The doco implies 3ds 2011 is dual GPU aware. How do I know if it is working or if it is not working?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
PROH
in reply to: Nudist

AFAIK max2011 does not support Windows 8. I believe that Mac + Windows 8 + Max2011 is a troublesome combination. You'll need Max2014.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 7
Nudist

Not quite a feedback I'm after.
Message 4 of 7
gburkett05

Are you using BootCamp or Parallels VM for Windows 8?

While I am aware of the lack of performance with Parallels, my luck with compatibility does improve. Parallels Tools works wonders with my computer, but it isn't dual GPU, so its worth a try. Get the trial version of Parallels 9 and see if it works

Message 5 of 7
Nudist
in reply to: gburkett05

Bootcamp

Sent from my iPhone
Message 6 of 7
gburkett05

I've done some research, but it applies to PCs directly- it could be different on a Mac Pro.

"You can have one card keeping Max responsive, and the other doing the VrayRT render.
Or you can have both cards doing the VrayRT render but you may notice significant UI slugginess if the settings are taxing the cards.
I'm not sure if Max can utilize more than one video card for itself."

I suggest using a tool such as atMonitor to visualize your Mac's performance

From there you will know if 3ds Max can utilize the 2nd GPU

Message 7 of 7
Nudist
in reply to: gburkett05

thanks for the suggestion

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report