Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error installing 2015 Design SP1...

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
darawork
2845 Views, 13 Replies

Error installing 2015 Design SP1...

Hi,

Have being trying for a few days now to install the SP1 for 3DSMax Design 2015 but keep getting errors:

"Product: Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2015 -- Error 1406. Could not write value CoreFiles to key \Products\7CE73B25638D01403046C342CBDE0201\Features.  System error .  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

"Product: Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2015 - Update 'Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2015 SP1' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23127"

It looks like the installer is trying to write registry keys, but not having permission to do so. I am logged in as Administrator, UAC is turned off and the permissions for registry are set for full control under my account.

I first tried to install "3dsMaxDesign2015_SP1.exe" and it gave me the errors above, and failed to install. I then uninstalled 3DSMax Design 2015 under add/remove programs, extracted the .msp from 3dsMaxDesign2015_SP1.exe and reinstalled 3DSMax Design 2015 with the .msp integrated in the install. Once again it fails to install.

Can anyone help me with this?

See screenshots below:

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Steve_Curley
in reply to: darawork

Try right-clicking the .exe > RunAs Administrator. I've had to do that with some things despite being logged in as Administrator with no UAC etc. Oh, and the usual with disabling firewall/AV etc.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 14
darawork
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have already done those steps too; Right-Click Admin install, firewall off and antivirus disabled. Same problem.

NOTE: I pressed 'ignore' on two unwritable registry errors during the 3DSMax Design 2015 (With integrated SP1 msp), and it installed regardless.

Upon opening Max, and checking the version, it states I am now running "v17.0 SP1 Commercial".

But now I feel I am running Max on a rats nest of patchworked code. Actually... that is the way it has always felt, so I suppose nothing has changed.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 14
Steve_Curley

Not sure what to suggest then, beyond my limited expertise with such things 😞

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 14
darawork

C:\FORMAT /ALL would be my suggestion usually for stuff this deep.

My PC OS has just celebrated its second birthday recently. That is probably a record for me, I usually have it well broken after six months.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 6 of 14
Steve_Curley

There's always that one - bit drastic unless there's no other way. The upside is that you do get a nice clean system 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 14
dennisqdw

I got that error when I installed 2015 (regular max, not Design) initially (you can see my post here elsewhere). Product support told me to go to control panel/ programs and features and do a "repair". I have just done that, and it said that it was repaired but I'm skeptical anything changed, as it was an instant response. I mention this because I'm now trying to install SP1, but get a "fatal error" message from the installer which makes me think it has something to do with the original Core values thing. So I guess I'll be checking with support again, and if their response seems relevant I'll let you know.

--ds

Message 8 of 14
darawork
in reply to: dennisqdw

Hi,

Cheers for the reply. With the same error. Was it the same registry key location? I can't remember if the installer gives out details of the error.

I have found a few ways to get a better description of application errors:

#1 Hold the [windows start key] and 'R'.

#2 Type 'eventvwr' and go to Windows Logs -> Application and then look for red icon errors for the installer.

#3 Check details there. Find error codes and google search them.

Or....

Try this little portable app, it runs standalone without installing anything: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/appcrashview.zip

It's only tiny, free and safe. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

It will give you a handy list of recently crashed apps, and why.

Post a few more details, and if it turns out to be the same thing we'll submit an error report.

Btw, are you in an office network or a home user? Account privileges can be complex when an IT dept are involved.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 9 of 14
dennisqdw

That is good info on how to check the error message. And indeed it does say that the error is, as suspected, because it could not write the "CoreFiles" value key. So it definitely looks like it's back to support to get an answer.

No IT dept. I'm it, and I have all permissions.

--ds

Message 10 of 14
darawork

I was thinking about asking someone with a working 2015 SP1 installation specifically what the contentious keys value was, and inputting it manually. But it could be one of many, especially with that rolled-in Heartbleed security fix with SP1. Whole thing is probably going 'deep-sea-diving', registry wise.

Do you have much other 3D programs installed? I have loads of stuff installed, and finding clashes gets hard.

What machine specs?

(Sorry, going into support bot mode).
 Robot Very Happy

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 11 of 14
autocad.phil

I have the same CoreFile Write error too with the 3dsmax design 2015. Tried so many different steps but didn't help. Also have the same Fatal Error when trying to install SP1. Hopefully the autodesk tech support person can help soon (have an open support case with them).
--
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2019 | Perpetual + Subscription
Message 12 of 14
sinlan
in reply to: autocad.phil

I got the same problem with 3dsmax design 2015 + SP1 and did´t find any solution.

I already have a open support case but he could not help yet.

Did you find a way to fix it?

Thanks a lot!

sindy

Message 13 of 14
dennisqdw
in reply to: sinlan

I think there are two threads on this topic, and I responded in the other one, some time back. But just for the record, the autodesk support people actually had to send me a different installer for SP1, which also turns up the same error, but allows the user to say ignore and it continues to install. So you have to get that from them. Don't know if they've ever found out what the underlying problem is or how to fix it. Good luck. --ds

Message 14 of 14
sinlan

Thank you.

I just asked them for this link...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report