Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying 3DSMax 9 (not 2009) from an OEM dealer? is it legal?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
195 Views, 10 Replies

Buying 3DSMax 9 (not 2009) from an OEM dealer? is it legal?

I would like to know the technicalities and legal position i would be in if i bought 3DSMax 9 (not 2009) from an OEM dealer.

This is what I would want to buy:

I understand I would be exempt from all updates, support etc but someone like me can no way afford 3 big ones on a computer, let alone computer software.

I would be grateful if that option does turn out to be illegal are there any legal alternatives to getting 3DSMax 9 cheaper.

I intend to use the standard built in Render, and Render To Texture functions, all the poly/mesh/patch modelling tools, some of the modifiers, UV mapping and external import/export plug-ins (to .b3d and .x).

The final models (meshes and render-to-texture saved images) would be used in a few projects of mine, some i wish to sell some I don't, nothing big or mainstream (if it did ever get that far then I'd just buy 3dsmax from here)

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong section/forum but I didn't know where else to ask
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Of course that's not legal, don't buy it.

Try to contact Autodesk directly, ask if there is a students' discount。

I always assumed OEM software was kind of legal.

It would have to be one hell of a student discount. but I'll contact them.
Message 3 of 11
Steve_Curley

Almost certainly a ripoff - remember that Autodesk do not sell the software, they sell licences to use the software. Licences are not (generally) transferrable, so what you're buying is effectively an unlicenced demo version which will work for a month then stop.

Search these forums for Student Licence - I think you'll find that it's $99 for 14 months, but you do have to prove you are a student to get it at that price. Not only that but you get the up to date current version too.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Almost certainly a ripoff - remember that Autodesk do not sell the software, they sell licences to use the software. Licences are not (generally) transferrable, so what you're buying is effectively an unlicenced demo version which will work for a month then stop.

Search these forums for Student Licence - I think you'll find that it's $99 for 14 months, but you do have to prove you are a student to get it at that price. Not only that but you get the up to date current version too.

I can't prove that I am a student as i am a college student (not a university student) and to be honest my course is nothing to do with computers (yet). but $99 is waay more affordable that 3 big ones. I had a look where to buy but couldn't find it.

Also can I get the older 3DS Max 9 (not 2009, or 2008, just version 9) version?
Message 5 of 11
Steve_Curley

Doubtful - they only sell the current version. You might be able to find it on a magazine cover disk, but whether they'll authorise it (regardless of licence type) is the real question.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I am having a similar issue in that I am a student at ITT. I am in a 3d modeling class that uses 3dsmax 2008 exclusively. I have surfed all around the autodesk site and can not find 2008 anywhere. In fact the only versions I can find on the net period are the illegal hacked cracked ones. Ebay had non, amazon had none... list goes on. so any other suggestions would be great here.
Message 7 of 11
Tim_Wilbers

The only way to buy a previous version than the current one is from an authorized reseller that may still have some in stock.

Journeyed.com and Studica.com have had at times the current and the previous versions both for sale. But all I find now are 2009 for $99.00 and pre-order 2010.

Important points:
There is no such thing as an OEM version of 3ds Max.
You cannot legally buy 3ds Max from an individual on e-Bay or elsewhere. The only exceptions are: The product has never been registered and authorized, and if the licensed owner has written permission from Autodesk to transfer the license.
Buy the software to support future development.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

I got the software from the educator student community. I had to do a bunch of funny things to my computer to make sure it worked but oh well. Thank you for responding sir.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

That site is selling illegal software. Also looked up the sites owner and it links to a warez site.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

No this is the Autodesk student educator site. It is only the 30 preview version.
Message 11 of 11
Zetopan

I would like to know the technicalities and legal position i would be in if i bought 3DSMax 9 (not 2009) from an OEM dealer.
This is what I would want to buy:

That site sells pirated software; NOTHING that they sell is a legal copy. In addition to 3DS Max
they also sell MasterCam, which commercially costs $20K or more, for only tens of dollars, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report