Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building new computer. What do you think?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
108 Views, 6 Replies

Building new computer. What do you think?

This is my first time posting. I will be taking a 3ds max class in about 4 months or so and decided to build a new computer for it (and the future). After checking these and other forums, I have decided on the following and would like your opinions.

Thanks everyone.

Quadro FX580 card

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Dri

I will be buying Design 2010 as a student (hopefully cheaper than regular price)
This will be my main workstation and I plan to run 3ds max and possibly photoshop only. What are your thought?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

As I posted in your other (deleted) thread - I'd suggest using a motherboard with an nVidia chipset if you're using an nVidia graphics card, which should enable some nifty features to make use of both graphics processors and/or reduce power consumption.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for replying. Sorry but this is my first time here, didn't mean to post in the wrong area.

I am not sure what the chipset is for the motherboard but will look into it. What "goodies" will the nVidia chipset give me/
Message 4 of 7
generalcody

I would personally swap the Quadro FX580 for a FX1700/1800 and go for an Intel Quad based CPU/MB sollution, but, it looks pretty decent.
--

# Don't walk too fast, you might overlook your life...
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I think your chosen motherboard has an ATI/AMD chipset. Have a look at this:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybrid_sli.html

I think ATI offers something similar ("Crossfire"). Either way I'd make sure the chipset and the graphics card are from the same manufacturer because there's less chance of compatibility problems that way.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

If you stick with Nvidia, you might want to look into the GTX285, over the Quadro card. There is a thread somewhere on this board about its performance in Max.
Message 7 of 7
companioncube

Max does not recognise Sli or crossfire so don't bother. the Quadro FX580 is a pretty lame card, there are some good 9 series nvidias that come with 1GB of video memory. make sure you get a 64-bit operating system. try get 8GB of RAM too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report