Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2009 freezing on menus

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
204 Views, 5 Replies

3ds max 2009 freezing on menus

Please help!

I’ve got a lab full of PCs (26) running Windows XP (32 bit) and Max 2009 with Direct X and Geforce 9600GT cards.

At random times, Max will freeze on any pull down menus. Click File, then try to click save, and nothing, it’s frozen.If we hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, then cancel, it accepts the save click and you are presented with the save dialogue box?!?!?

If you try to use the select by name icon, it freezes big time and only way out is Ctrl+Alt+Del, then shut down, then it pops back to Max.

I haven’t been able to find out what causes the menu freezing to start. It doesn’t happen all the time. I’ve tried software mode too, doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve installed SP1, I’ve tried newer Nvidia drivers = no success.

I’m a pretty good troubleshooter, and this one has me stumped. Probably because it doesn’t happen all the time. I’m open for any and all suggestions. My older version of Max 7 didn’t do this, just seems to be 2009.

Much thanx

PS - It's not the same issue people seem to be having with the Intellemouse software, I've read those posts. I have an MS mouse but I'm pretty sure it's just the built in windows drivers. From what I've read, I'm the first one to have this issue - figures...
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ekahennequet
in reply to: Anonymous

PS - It's not the same issue people seem to be having with the Intellemouse software, I've read those posts. I have an MS mouse but I'm pretty sure it's just the built in windows drivers. From what I've read, I'm the first one to have this issue - figures...

Are you absolutely sure or "pretty" sure? The reason I ask is because almost all of the people who have posted the same problem as yours solved the issue by removing the Intellimouse driver.

I would recommend that you make sure, then we can try to figure out if it's something else. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
ekahennequet

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I didn't install the Intellemouse drivers. There is nothing in the control panel or add/remove programs mentioning Intellemouse...

My mouse shows up as a HID-compliant mouse, Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver version: 5.1.2600.0. It's just a basic, USB mouse.

Also, I don't have "disappearing menus and vanishing windows", I have freezing windows that require a Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Thanks for the advice, if you know how to be sure my driver is not Intellemouse, let me know.
Message 5 of 6
ekahennequet

Sorry to hear. Since you said you've tried everything, I'm stumped too. Hopefully others will have some solution.

Updates & Service Packs:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9241178

Support and Knowledge Base:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/index?siteID=123112&id=5585571&linkID=9241177
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Checked the links, no luck. Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else (on the face of the earth) ever ran into freezing menus in any version of Max??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report