Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DSMax 2014 Freezes When Opening Scene Files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Chris_RSI
992 Views, 2 Replies

3DSMax 2014 Freezes When Opening Scene Files

I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help me out with an annoying issue in Max 2014.

Periodically, Max will freeze up and become unresponsive when I try to open a scene file. I'll be working on one scene, save it out, and then try to load another scene, and it will freeze causing me to have to kill it and restart.

It happens randomly, on many different scene files, and can't be repeated with any consistency.

What is curious is that when it freezes up, sometimes in the viewport it will show the new scene file models, but also partial geometry from the previous scene file that has been blacked out. When I restart Max it shows the file that I tried to open in the recent file list. My gut feeling tells me it is some sort of graphic glitch that is causing the freeze.

Software is 3DSMax 2014 SP3. It has been reinstalled with no effect on the problem. Graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro 4000 with latest drivers, O.S. is Windows 7 64-bit.

Thoughts?..

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BenBisares
in reply to: Chris_RSI

I would try changing the viewport driver to something like the Legacy Direct3D drivers or even OpenGL to see if the glitch remains. Hopefully that will help you narrow down what the problem could be realted to.

To change the driver choose the "Change Graphics Driver" shortcut which you can find in the 3ds Max Start folder.

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 3
Chris_RSI
in reply to: BenBisares

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

We've been in touch with Autodesk about this, and apparently it is a known issue. Hopefully there will be a patch soon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report