Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 3ds Max Design: Windows Explorer File Extension Icon Problem

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
3DSquatch
474 Views, 0 Replies

2013 3ds Max Design: Windows Explorer File Extension Icon Problem

I'll try to keep this as succinct as possible to spare you the boring details.

Firstly, I realize that this may be seen more of an annoyance than a critical issue; however, I export a lot of model files from Rhino, AutoCAD and SketchUp and the ability to differentiate between .max and .3ds files is crucial for me. This is especially true in project folders with multiple files and several different file types.

So, THE PROBLEM: 

Icons for .3ds and .max file extensions and are appearing in windows explorer as generic "faceless" default windows icons (see attachment "3DS-FILE-ICON-PROBLEM1.PNG"). This may have something to do with one of the following perceived anomalies/glitches: 

1. The 3dsmax.exe file is also a generic icon. Shouldn't this application file display the main icon image ( C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\Icons\icon_main.ico ) ??
  2. I also have Nuance Paperport installed on the computer, which also uses the .max extension for one of it's main file-types.
  3. The 'data' for the 3dsFile 'DefaultIcon' is not "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\Icons\file_3dsmax_3ds.ico" but, for some reason, is "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\en-US\acadficn.dll,2" (see attachment "3DS-FILE-ICON-PROBLEM_RegEdit3.PNG").  Could this have something to do with the fact that I also have AutoCAD Design Suite 2013 installed on my computer? 

Not sure if anyone can help, but this is some mystery as far as I'm concerned. I've never seen this happen for any program before, not for Autodesk, nor for Microsoft or Adobe or anything else. 

Any ideas or suggestions?

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report