Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.5 Vs 3Gb Vram (Vram Shared Between Two Gpu, Or Single Gpu)?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
MayaWannabe
665 Views, 6 Replies

1.5 Vs 3Gb Vram (Vram Shared Between Two Gpu, Or Single Gpu)?

I was about to go with a GTX-590 with 3GB VRAM, but just realized that it splits the VRAM between two GPUs so each just gets 1.5GB.

I can get a GTX-580 with only a single GPU, but that GPU will have a full 3GB VRAM.

Which is going to end up faster? I'm concerned about going down to 1.5 GB VRAM as I've got 2GB VRAM now with a GTX-285.

I'm running Win7.

Also, on a related question, has anyone tried PCIe expansion chassis like:

http://www.cubix.com/content/gpu-xpander-desktop

I see more and more reliance on GPU - and that looks like one way to add more, as they are certified for use with DaVinci (which is coming to Win7 soon).

Thanks!

3ds Max 2012 on Win7 dual Xeon SuperMicro X8DAE with 48GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Steve_Curley
in reply to: MayaWannabe

Moved from Max2012 - you're likely to get better answers by posting in the most appropriate forum.

Note - it helps if you put your Max version in your sig - especially in a non version-specific one such as this one.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 7
kcpr.pl

Hi,

GTX 590 has better performance, but with only 1,5 GB of VRAM you won't fit too big scenes - so your GPU will be useless on bigger projects.

I would recomend you to install program such like EVGA Precision and check the amount of VRAM is used during rendering of your largest project.

I it fits in 1,5 GB - that's ok.

But personally I've chosen 2xGTX 580 3GB PHANTOM, since I've met memory limit issue very fast ;]
And I wouldn't take a risk to buy card which soon would be useless.

So, my vote is: Go for GTX580 with 3GB VRAM.

Search the forum - there are some discussions about this topic.
Message 4 of 7
MayaWannabe

Thanks for the suggestions!

I ended up going with EVGA 03G-P3-1595-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Classified with 3GB VRAM.

It has a number of enhancements over the stock 580 besides just the increased clock rate, so ... I'm really looking forward to it.
Message 5 of 7
jcroker

I would be interested to hear how well this video card works for you.

I have been looking at getting either this card (EVGA GTX 580 3GB) or the Quadro 4000. I have been undecided on which to get for some time and seem to change my mind from day to day.

So any information on your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks
Message 6 of 7
ballew_m32

Is it possible to get the two cpus but upgrade the ram for each?
Message 7 of 7
MayaWannabe

I found out some disturbing things.

nVidia has throttled opengl so that a GTX-285 runs 4x faster than a GTX-580.

They have apparently throttled CUDA also.

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=291789#Post291789

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1210364&postcount=27

I'm hoping that CUDA throttling is less than the opengl, and a post on another forum for a 460 CUDA being much faster than a 260 CUDA gives me some hope, but ... the 580 CUDA could actually end up slower than the GTX-285, I just don't know. I've search for CUDA benchmarks, but don't really see any.

The real-world CUDA use in Premiere shown here seems to indicate that CUDA performance hasn't changed - and certainly hasn't gotten better.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

nVidia can do anything they want, but to advertise the product as if it is faster without telling a customer the real story is in quite poor form. I can't spend days trying to become a video card 'expert'. I just want valid info so that I can make a decision based on the facts.

I no longer trust nVidia at all - which is a shame as I'd been very happy with the GTX-285, and always praised vVidia products.

** EDIT *** this benchmark seems to indicate CUDA is getting faster in newer GTX cards!

http://kernelnine.com/?p=218

BTW - if OpenGL calls like "glReadPixels()" on a GTX480 are ~4 times slower than on a GTX285, how does this actually affect 3D users day to day?

If we're using opengl to to display an estimation of the render for tweaking, I would guess 3d apps would be using the glWritePixels - much like a video game would to display the game.

Is this only going to affect users to want to read what opengl has 'rendered' - or is this going to affect normal usage of 3D apps? When would you need to read those buffers, rather than display them?

Unless you're using ?is it vRay ??, I thought all actual rendering was done in software, at least for final output, but ... I could be confused?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report