Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem starting MapGuide Server service

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
pualika
891 Views, 17 Replies

Problem starting MapGuide Server service

I have installed NLM and it is reading the license file and the license server shows a status of UP. When I try and start the MapGuide Server service from the services pane in Computer Management, the service won't start. The error I get reads
Could not start the MapGuide Server service on the Local Computer
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly

Any ideas?
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
dswilson
in reply to: pualika

In your Web Admin, before you stopped and restarted the service did you set the IP address of your license server? If not you will need to modify your serverconfig.ini and set the license IP.

Dave
Message 3 of 18
pualika

The license server seems to be working probably. I did go into the serverconfig.ini file and changed the 127.0.0.1 address listed to the actual server address but the service still fails to start and for the same reason.

I should also note that the service has never started, so restarting it never took place. Message was edited by: pualika
Message 4 of 18
dswilson

I would uninstall and reinstall the server. In doing so any changes to your serverconfig.ini may be lost. Back it up just in case. Have you modified any paths or anything in your configuration that may be incorrect?

Dave
Message 5 of 18
pualika

I have actually uninstalled and reinstalled a few times already because I suspected a problem with the NLM server. It reads the license file just fine and shows its status as being up. I wish it the error messge was less vague 😞

Youthink I should start all over? Also, when I uninstall, is anything being left behind in the registry that might be affecting the load?
Message 6 of 18
dswilson

I wouldn't start completely over. I was thinking just uninstall and reinstall the server. If the server won't start after the base install there is another problem. You might try installing the server in evaluation mode to prove that the base service does work. If that works, uninstall the server and reinstall with the license info and registration. When I say server I mean just the server, not the Web Extension or anything else.

There shouldn't be anying left in the registry that would cause grief. The server tries to avoid registry stuff since it has to run on linux and windows.

I'm not an expert with the license manager so I'm just using my understanding of the server install to debug this. I believe there was another post here regarding this that eventually the user was successful. I will try to find that.

I'm assuming the license manager is on another machine and you can ping that IP address from a dos prompt on your server mahcine?

Dave
Message 7 of 18
pualika

Actually, the license server is on the same server. Should it be somewhere else?

I will try just installing the server again in evaluation mode to see if it works and then move on to the licensed mode. Do I need to reinstall the the NLM/LMtools or just leave it with it's current settings?

I found the post that you are referring to with a .pdf attached on what order to install and start services but that persons problem was mainly with obtaining a license and getting NLM to run. Unless there is another I missed....

I really appreciate your help.
Message 8 of 18
dswilson

If the licence server is on the same machine you shouldn't have to do anything with it.

After you confirm the eval works, you might try setting the actual IP address of the machine as the license IP in the serverconfig.ini in case the license server isn't resolving the 127.0.0.1 address.

Dave
Message 9 of 18
pualika

yeah, I already changed the licesnse server Ip address in the serverconfig.ini file for the same reason. I guess I will try it in evaluation mode. Let you know how it goes...
Message 10 of 18
pualika

I loaded it in evaluation mode and it does the same thing. The service won't start. At least I know it has nothing to do with the licensing. Suggestions?
Message 11 of 18
dswilson

instead of trying to run the service, from a command line navigate to the server bin directory. You can try to run the mgserver.exe /interactive and see if that runs. This might tell us if it is a problem with the service. It could also be a permissions problem. Are you running on XP? It shouldn't matter, but I'm curious what other variables I'm missing here.

Dave
Message 12 of 18
pualika

Ihere is the result of running it with the /interactive.

Running the server interactively as an application instead of as a service.

(3484|1984) Failed to retrieve message for "MgFileIoException".
Exception occured in method MgFileUtil.RenameFile at line 751 in file c:\build_t
ux_area\mgdev\common\service\util\FileUtil.cpp

(3484|1984) Failed to retrieve message for "MgUnclassifiedException".
Exception occured in method MgLogManager.QueueLogEntry at line 1923 in file c:\b
uild_tux_area\mgdev\server\src\common\manager\LogManager.cpp

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

The server is running Server 2003. I had wondered if maybe there was a problem with a patch or program/server configuration also.
Message 13 of 18
dswilson

It's possible you are encountering some kind of permissions problems. It may be that the service can't access the log files directory as the service tries to reset the log files upon startup.

Can I assume you were a power user or administrator when the install was done? Is there service registered to the local system account?

Try modifying the permissions on the server folders to ensure the local system account has access.

Dave
Message 14 of 18
pualika

I figured that too and looked through all of the folders and all of the permissions are correct. The service is set to run with the local system account. I did try to have it run as the local admin account and my domain admin account but with the same result. I am a domain admin and installed in with that login.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

pualika wrote:
> I figured that too and looked through all of the folders and all of the permissions are correct.

Did you install the server to something other than c: ? What is the
specific path that you installed to? Is it running on a non-English OS?

Did you modify any of the paths in serverconfig.ini ?

Double-check all of the paths are real (copy and paste into explorer) to
make sure that there are no errors in them. If you want, post a copy of
the serverconfig file here.

Jason
Message 16 of 18
pualika

It is finally working. I was talking with one of the tech support guys and he mentioned in his e-mail where his log files were located. Mine were no where close to there. The link worked and I had pointed NLM to where my log files were created but apparently that wasn't good enough. I created a log folder where he said his were located and gave everyone write permissions (just in case), restarted the NLM and then started the MapGuide service. It worked and I can now connect from the studio to the server. Thanks for all of your help guys!!!
Message 17 of 18
Rhed

HI im encountering the same problem as yours.. First question may i know the directory of the serverconfig.ini? im sorry im a newbie that why im starting from nothing. thanks
Message 18 of 18
Rhed

im sorry guys i got the answer already, just trying to do troubleshooting now..i did restart server installation for my mapguide server to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report