Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Net Development - Digitising

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bsheehy
909 Views, 6 Replies

.Net Development - Digitising

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, C# and IIS7 .

I want to develop a test application so I can show a customer that MapGuide Enterprise is a viable product for serving maps and for users to digitise and edit (line, polygons) on the client side.

So far its been an uphill struggle - is anyone out there doing this - are there any good .Net examples with code showing this?

I'm actually a little worried about the lack of responese on the forums etc... (apologies Jackie) I'm starting to get the impression that MapGuide isnt the technology best suited to this.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jorgeolimpia
in reply to: bsheehy

Hi bsheehy.

You can build a demo solution using Autodesk Topobase instead Autodesk MapGuide. In fact, Topobase Web will allow the users to create and edit lines, polygons and other objects. MapGuide just allow them to activate/deactivate layers.

Of course there are a variety of functionalities in MapGuide but Topobase Web is the solution that you're looking for.

Also, I recommend you to check other solutions, like OpenLayers and GeoServer. Depending of what you need, you can implement a solution based on Google Maps, integrated with these tools.

Good luck and any doubts please let us know.

Regards,

Jorge Olimpia

Brazil

Message 3 of 7
bsheehy
in reply to: jorgeolimpia

Thanks for the reply Jorge.

I'm going to take alook at OpenLayers and GeoServer to see how they stack up.

Message 4 of 7
bsheehy

Took a brief look at Topobase it seems to have Digitis and vector Editing functionality - why would you use MapGuide over Topobase to server and edit maps?

Is there anyone out there using topobase to server maps?

Message 5 of 7
jorgeolimpia

Hi bsheehy.

As you said, it sounds a little bit strange, but Topobase Web uses all MapGuide infrastructure to load and serve maps in the browser. However, every maps and layers loaded in MapGuide environment are generated by Topobase. So, if you need to provide a "read-only" solution, MapGuide is your choice. If some users need to edit layers, create features, workflows, and other objects, so you have to implement Topobase Web, because this one can open all workspaces created using Topobase Administrator.

Whatsmore, you can use Topobase API to develop and customize Topobase Client (Desktop or Web) using C# / .NET, maintaining the same project to serve two environments.

Any doubts please let us know.

Regards,

Jorge Olimpia

Message 6 of 7
bsheehy
in reply to: jorgeolimpia

Jorge thanks for the info - youve been very helpfu, cheers.

I think this is what we might be looking for for our customers requirements.

Is there a trial version of Topobase available for download so I can test soem concepts and show them to a customer.

Also I was wondering about ball park prices for topobase - i realise you guys have dealers who sell youre products but some sort of prices would at least give me an idea of what the cost would be.

Message 7 of 7
jorgeolimpia

Hi bsheehy.

Thanks for reply.

As you said, you can try Topobase and create a solution for your customer.

Unfortunately I can't help you about license prices because I'm not the buyer here at the company. However, you can contact an Autodesk reseller in your region. Check at "Purchase / Locale a reseller" menu.

I'm not sure but you can check with a salesperson if Autodesk licenses are shared. Then, your customer doesn't need to braek a vault for them! 😄

Good luck and I hope you can find the best solution for your customer.

Best regards,

Jorge Olimpia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report