Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MGE2009 Importing Symbol Library

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
hhiggins
466 Views, 11 Replies

MGE2009 Importing Symbol Library

I have a DWG with sysbols that I want to use in MGE2009. I have MG Studio. When I drag my /dwg into site explorer and use the load proceedure it is creating sysbol definitions, but i need symbol libraries. Do i need to somehow convert the symbol definitions to symbol libraries?

thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
robertfritz
in reply to: hhiggins

Hi,

you can create a symbol library from a drawing by publishing the drawing from map 2009, but make sure, that you have assigned the block symbols you want to have in the library to features in the DisplayManager. Otherwise no library will be created and only the drawing is published,

Robert
Message 3 of 12
hhiggins

i tried to publish from topobase 2008, but it said it failed to publish the layer. is there another way to try this?
Message 4 of 12
dswilson

You could download a trial of Map 3D 2009 and try it.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=9980132

Regards,
Dave
Message 5 of 12
dswilson

I'm a little surprised this didn't work from Topobase 2008. What specifically was the error message you recieved?

Dave
Message 6 of 12
hhiggins

i am now able to publish via topobase. issue was that i was trying to publish before i generated graphics. now the issue is that the data the is published via topobase is useless because the data source is wanting to use the autodesk.topobase provider that MGE doesn't have.
Message 7 of 12
dswilson

Create an Autodesk Oracle based feature source and depending on the type of data just save the FeatureSource over top of the Topobase one. I'm not sure if you have to rebuild the layer or not depending on what styling definition it was using. This might allow you to see the layer. The symbol library can be used by other resources, even if you can't preview the layer you published. You could just create a new layer and assign it the symbol based on the new feature source.

If all you really wanted was to get the symbols you could use Topobase to create a new sdf with a single point or set of points and assign the blocks to them. Publishing that will get you your libraries. In that case you don't care about the map and layers being published.

An alternative I have not tried is to copy the provider files from Topobase into the MapGuide Studio and Server install and modify the providers.xml file to add the new provider. I'm not sure which files are required for this.

Alternatively if you have Topobase and Topobase web running you could publish to Topobase web and export a package of the folder containing the symbol libraries. You can then import the package to MGE. Again layers and feature sources would probably not work, but you could get just the symbol library.

Dave
Message 8 of 12
hhiggins

i have the symbol library in MGE2008. Is there any way I can copy it to my MGE2009 site? Is there a file somewhere to be copied?

thanks
Message 9 of 12
dswilson

Just export the library as a package from Site Admin.

Regards,
Dave
Message 10 of 12
hhiggins

and how do i do that? i don't see any export command.
Message 11 of 12
dswilson

From Site Admin, Manage Packages

You can export a package by supplying a folder path to the folder with your library. For example Library:\\myfolder\mydatafolder\

I think Library:\\ is appended by default so you can just start with the root folder onwards in your path. It might require the end \ to close the path.

After you create the package then copy it to the packages folder in your 2009 instance then from Site Admin load the package.
Message 12 of 12
hhiggins

that did it! thank you very much. you are a great resource to this use group!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums