Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading back MapGuide layers to Map 3D

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mbyee28
996 Views, 8 Replies

Loading back MapGuide layers to Map 3D

Hi! I'm not quite good in MapGuide Enteprise but had experiences on loading in layers into Studio and also published maps I created from Map 3D. I just want to ask if this scenario is possible:

Say, I used studio to load all my resources, mix of shp, sdf, rasters and database connections (SQL). I'm done with the styles and it appeared ok on the website. The problem is...is it possible to bring this finished map I had configured to Map 3D? With all the layers, connections and styles. In Map 3D there is a feature to save to a ".layer" file is there a similar feature in MapGuide Ent? There is a need to modify some of the map layers with the styles done in MapGuide visible, that's why we need to bring it back to Map 3D.

Can anyone enlighten me if this is possible or suggest some steps to achieve this. Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dswilson
in reply to: mbyee28

Unfortunately the layer definitions between MapGuide and Map 3D are not compatible. You could create a sample for one of your SDF's in Map and save the layer to a file. You could then use this as a template to edit the layer definition you get from MapGuide (download and use the latest dev version of MapGuide Maestro, an open source tool to make viewing of the XML easier within a Studio like tool). I'm not sure if you can write some script to merge a template and your MGE layer files.

Regards,
Dave
Message 3 of 9
gluckett

Why not use WMS?  You can publish you data in MapGuide in WMS and consume it with Map 3D with all the styles retained.

Message 4 of 9
plantech1

Why not fix the programs (Autodesk) so they can have a truly integrated system of CAD/GIS??!??!!

Message 5 of 9
gluckett

Hi I totally understand your frustration.  The FDO to DWG chasm is still only bridged with a lot of manual labour (exporting DWG into FDO ready types such as SDF or Oracle) or through FME from Safe Software.

I would like to see a FDO Provider for DWG with read/write - that would be nice to use DWG with Autodesk Geospatial Products like MapGuide -currently you have to Load Procedure into SDF or export as a DWF manually.

...and your stylization to be easily created with the interface rather than loading with XML...

In the meantime, WMS will retain your stylization (but only read-only).

Message 6 of 9
plantech1

Sorry, didn't know it was showing.  Been trying to solve this problem since MG 6.5 went off the screen.  Getting no response from Adesk.

A trick I use it to make a two layer folder on the map using a dwf of the dwg and an "invisible" sdf with attribute data on top so the user can select items.  Bulks it up but works somewhat. 

Message 7 of 9
mel-gis
in reply to: dswilson

Hi Dave.

Can you help me, about mapguide...

I have a map, that a want to print using a plotter. It's possible??

I did try, but only it printed the browser's frame, and I need to see my map on a paper of 3,0 mt x 1,70 mt.

Thanks.

Regards,

mel.

Message 8 of 9
dswilson
in reply to: mel-gis

I'm not sure you will get the resolution you desire, but you can add a command to your layout to plot to DWF. You can then print the DWF on the plotter.

A more complex solution that might improve what you want you get is to use the sample application for Sheboygan which includes a set of plot options that might better provide what you need, but you would have to replace the map in the sample app layout with your own to use it out of the box. I haven't tried modifying a layout to link to the page that the sample applications call, but that might be an option too.

Hopefully you can get something reasonable without any programming. There is API that may expose more options than shown in the sample applications, but that is likely too complex.

Dave

Message 9 of 9
mel-gis

Thank you so much, Dave..

I did try the first option: DFW and your print control (choosing a plotter).

Everything it's ok.

Regards,

Mel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report