Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offset

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RavchukNA
662 Views, 3 Replies

offset

3D model (exported as a 3DS-file) and shape from which it was taken will not lie to each other in the AIM (see picture)? Moreover, if the 3DS file again to convert into shape (Vector&3Dmodel placement.jpgsuch as ArcGIS), all the same.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
C3D_TomR
in reply to: RavchukNA

I recall David Lawrence talking about an offset issue when moving data from InfraWorks into 3DS Max. I recommend watching the full recorded version of the class David presented at AU 2015. If you're short on time, skip to the 41 minute mark and listen to the portion where he begins talking about double precision and the offset issue including how he resolves the issue. If this workaround is the fix for your issue, please mark Accept as Solution so others can find it as well. Also I'll make sure it gets documented in the Autodesk Knowledge Network for future. Kudos are appreciated too.

Link to class:

CI10977: Make It a Round Trip: Leave One-Way Workflows Behind with InfraWorks 360 and AutoCAD Civil ...

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 3 of 4
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: RavchukNA

Hi @RavchukNA,

this issue could also be caused by the extend of the source data and the way InfraWorks handles the coordinate systems (CS).

Looking at your screenshot with the rail track I am assuming the issue is caused by the extent of the data.

The larger the extent of a a file the more offset you get at the borders. This is caused by the CS reference point (= area with highest accuracy) and the curvature of the earth. 

You can easily check if the size of the source data is the reason for the offset by creating data with a smaller extent and see if it is positioned correctly in InfraWorks.

The Autodesk Knowledge Database covers this topic with a few articles:

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 4

I tend to back Karsten's assumption. 

As a hack you could use the offset settings in the data configuation dialog to get a better result. Not nice, and agreed that it should be better out of the box, but you might get closer to want you want.

Markus Briglmeir, Product Manager BIM 360 Design Collaboration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report