Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non linear projects in Infraworks

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
neilyj666
2075 Views, 29 Replies

non linear projects in Infraworks

I quite like the 3d orbit speed in infraworks so want to use it for visualization. I have an existing ground level dtm with an aerial image draped over which looks great. I have brought in earthworks platforms that have been designed in civil 3d but they take the aerial photo texture and so can't be seen easily.

is it even possible to do this - I have seen a Youtube video showing a dam in China that shows exactly the sort of thing I want to achieve but I have no idea how to do it - any clues gratefully received...:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
tcorey
in reply to: neilyj666

Do you have a link to that YouTube video?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 30
neilyj666
in reply to: tcorey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJLb9suzJM&list=PLgYKCHjym6mQ9KdNWHesq2dDSnHaj9QQf&index=5

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 30
tcorey

Neil, if I am reading your OP correctly, you want to bring in your design surfaces from Civil 3D, but you want them to replace the aerial photo rather than have the aerial draped over the new surfaces?

If so, you can use Raster Design to remove a polygonal region from the aerial image.You can trace over a surface boundary, for example. Unfortunately, you cannot just pick an object to represent the polygonal region. You have to pick the points one at a time. ;-(

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 30
neilyj666

that is precisely what I am trying to do so thanks for the workaround - perhaps 3ds max is the best way forward?

not sure why such basic functionality is missing from infraworks as this would increase its usability considerably.

EESignature

Message 6 of 30
jjvail

Any luck on being able to present earthwork impacts on the existing terrain? I am very impressed with ease of Infraworks but if only I can get it to handle multiple terrain surfaces. Thanks

Message 7 of 30
tcorey
in reply to: jjvail

To use multiple terrain surfaces, consider placing them in different proposals.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 30
jjvail

Thanks. Understand that but wish they could be shown together and somehow differentiate them. In Max I can import a cropped EG surface and show the proposed excavations and proposed filling that way. Just curious if the same can be achieved using Infraworks

Message 9 of 30
tcorey

Oh, I see what you're asking. Yes, I would like an easy way to do this as well. If a surface could just have a color assigned would be nice. There is probably a way to do this using image files that are cropped, but I don't have time today. If I get time tomorrow morning, I'll give it another look.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 10 of 30
tcorey

Neil, I found a pretty easy way to do this.

Using Civil 3D, extract the border of the smaller/inner surface. Export the resultant 3D polyline as SDF.

After importing the two (or more) surfaces into InfraWorks, import that SDF file. Set the type to Coverage Areas and be sure to set it to Drape (Source tab.) Here's an example:

Multi-Surfaces in InfraWorks.png.

It's not as good as if you could just apply a visual style to a surface, but it's pretty fast and easy.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 11 of 30
neilyj666

Tim

thanks for taking the time to research this query - I've not got time at the moment to test it out but I will over the next few days...:)

EESignature

Message 12 of 30
jjvail

Thanks! I did find the coverage seems to take the surface elevations but I wondered how to get it exact. The SDF anwsers that. I wonder what other entities (alignments, featurelines etc.) could be used from Civil3D and what other formats to export them besides sdf.? Thanks again

Jethro

Message 13 of 30
neilyj666

This just isn't working for me - I'm getting increasingly frustrated by this software; it could be so good for quick visualization of designs (rather than the fluffy conceptual stuff that it is being pushed for) but I feel I'm constantly fighting it to do even the simplest thing....Smiley Frustrated

EESignature

Message 14 of 30
jjvail

I share your frustration, my models seem to become corrupt over time.  I really like the results, quick good looking models and videos for conceptual. That video you are refering to may be used in conjunction with other softwares. Hard to tell.

What is it that you are having problems with?  I have found the work around to the aerial image being applied to a impacting surface by using coverages and a proposal merged with the master.

Message 15 of 30
neilyj666

Just trying to get the "design" surfaces to show through the aerial image

EESignature

Message 16 of 30
ToddRogers-WPM

Will making your aerial transparent help?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 17 of 30
neilyj666
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I looked at rubbing out the raster image via Raster Design until I realised you have to click around the polygonal area and there are 4000 vertices in this particular design boundary

EESignature

Message 18 of 30
ToddRogers-WPM

Change the Surface Opacity on the View tab...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 19 of 30
jjvail

I think that method could be a little time consuming. The way I got it to work is using TCorey's suggestion in an earlier post. Look for the kudos

Create a proposal then bring in your impacting surface.

Merge the proposal with the master surface and create a coverage using the outer boundary of the impacing surface.

It may be that you should create the coverage prior to merging. cant remember.

The coverage can be set to a material that outweigs the aerial image.

Message 20 of 30
neilyj666

I wonder if there is an issue with my coverage - I need to have the narrow corridor area removed from the aerial image surface

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report