Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

for R2 update, how to publish online scenario at full resolution?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JamesMaeding
1126 Views, 8 Replies

for R2 update, how to publish online scenario at full resolution?

I just took one of our medium size models, and published it with defaults for tile size (200) and image size (256).

The reults were essentially useless. The surface was way dumbed down and image was super resampled.

The help: does not mention the ranges of values possible.

Two things scare me a bit about this publishing:

1) is my surface being converted to a grid of points whose dist between is the tile size (in meters the help says)?

that would be very bad

2) I happen to know the texture size limit, 4096, from experience with visualizations. My models will take hours to publish if this is the case, and AIM uses 100% of my 4 cores. That basically means I can only publish at night.

Seems like something needs to be done to make that practical.\

The online viewing in IE is excellent. Good job on that Autodesk, this is something I've been waiting for ever since the RDV guys started their efforts years ago. Their viewer was skittish, but yours is great first time out.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JoshNelson
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Do a really small area using the scenario limits (the new polygon limits tool is awesome - it makes things so much easier, you can also import a shapefile with the limits) and then try all different combinations of TIle Size, Texture Size, and LOD for your model and take a look at the resultant folder after you start increasing these. There is a point when the folder size stops growing. I wish I had my data. I created like 20 different scenarios until there is no noticeable difference in the output so that I could find my upper limit. I think my texture size limits was 2250. I had all these in 2012 using the Labs scenario tool and I can't get back to them after I upgraded my model I guess.

Message 3 of 9
JamesMaeding

thanks Josh,

I might like to hear from Autodesk on my 4096 upper limit for images. It may be that they detect my orig image resolution, and do not resample above that for their tiles.

I do not get the tile size number at all though. I do not believe they are dumbing down the surface to a grid of points, so that tile size seems arbitrary. Then to throw in LOD, you could go crazy.

I do love the incompatibility with R2, would not matter except for the complete uninstall and reinstall involved.

My high resolution test crashed 30 minutes in, got a CER dialog and a poof its gone experience.

I then ran my "clean temp folders" batch routine as I always do after a crash, and it found a lot of stuff.

That code is useful if anyone wants, put in a clean temp.bat file:

del /Q "C:\Temp\*.ac$"
attrib "C:\Temp\*.dwt" -h
del /Q "C:\Temp\*.dwt"
del /Q/S "%temp%\*.*"

del /Q "%userprofile%\CustomCUIs\2009\*.mnr"
del /Q "%userprofile%\CustomCUIs\2012\*.mnr"
del /Q "%userprofile%\Desktop\*.bak"
del /Q "C:\CAD_SUPPORT\A2009\Menus\*.mnr"
del /Q "C:\CAD_SUPPORT\A2012\Menus\*.mnr"

I kill mnr's as they can crash acad if mismatched with a menu.

Message 4 of 9
JoshNelson

Also - I hope you are creating local files and not publishing everything to the web. Local is way faster for tryin different settings.
Message 5 of 9
JamesMaeding

I think I am, my model is local if that's what you mean.

I did put one model on the web, but if I go to work on it, it must download to local anyway.

Must I publish a scenario to the 360 site to view on the web, or is there a way around?

Message 6 of 9
JoshNelson

Yes you can create a local HTML set of files. Right click the scenario and create files - don't publish. It's WAY faster.
Message 7 of 9
JamesMaeding
in reply to: JoshNelson

um, wow, I missed that.

The wiki help system sure did not make it clear.

thanks a bunch!

Message 8 of 9
JamesMaeding
in reply to: JoshNelson

oh, the "other" button by publish. I wondered what that was about.

Message 9 of 9
tomfukushima

The Texture Size is what any raster/image data is resampled down to.You can use a maximum value of 2048, and it needs to be a power of 2 (i.e., 256, 512, 1024, 2048) otherwise the textures won't show in the iPad app.

By increasing the texture size, you increase the chance of "out-of-memory" issues on the iPad.  In this case, reducing the Tile Size should help because then "less 3D" needs to be put into memory at a time.

Tom Fukushima
Software Development Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report