Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions about AIM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
benedet
615 Views, 2 Replies

Some questions about AIM

Hi, i'm working on a real city modeling project and i'm trying to use AIM for this purpose.

I have some questions about it and i have noticed bugs or strange behaviors :

- The lack of undo/redo command is very boring !

- The grammar used to create rules is not well-documented.

- Is it possible to create building or roads, for instance, using our own textures in styles editor ? 

- I have the following major problem when exporting part of my project (saving with one or multiple files doesn't change anything) : if the exported area is quite large (1km x 1km), buildings are exported without textured and detailed facades even if they are seen with a good LOD in AIM. If i want to retrieve buildings with a high LOD, i have to export a fbx file describing a smaller area (100m x 100m). There is no explanation for this behavior and no settings to adjust the export.

- When i import fbx file created with AIM into 3dsMax 2012, i get almost as many entities as simple meshes the file contains. Moreover, most of these entities hold the same name. Therefore, it is a problem when you have to consider large city areas. Any idea or workaround about it ?

Thanks.

(Sorry for my poor English)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
cjandrews22
in reply to: benedet

Great questions!

Here's what I can tell you:

• Undo/Redo - We agree that this is a painful omission.  It's one feature that we're hoping to deliver as soon as we can in an upcoming release.
  • Rules grammar - Good point.  I'll raise this with our documentation team
  • Using your own textures in roads and buildings - It is possible to use your own textures in road styles, but not easily in building styles today.  For road styles, you would 1) add the new textures in as materials, 2) create a new material group adding your new styles to that group, and 3) create a road style using that material group.  We hope to expand the road styling in the near future and to improve the building styling in the future.
  • Export LOD - We have identified Export LOD management as a future need.  The expected behavior today is exactly what you describe and we realize that it's not ideal.
  • FBX import - You get multiple entites for an imported FBX?  Can you send an example to infrastructure.modeler.support(at)autodesk(dot)com?

Thanks for these items!
Chris

Senior Product/Product Line Manger
Media and Entertainment Cloud Services
Autodesk
Message 3 of 3
benedet
in reply to: cjandrews22

Thanks for your answers.

I also noticed two bugs in 3D facades :

- There are spaces between cells (cells are not connected)

- Holes are created during extrusion (top of windows or balconies)

Attach files describe these problems.

I will try to send you an exported sample of my modeling problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report