Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster image coming in grey

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
leesutcliffe6520
2265 Views, 29 Replies

Raster image coming in grey

Hi, I am very new to Infraworks and am trying out a trial version of it.  Everytime I try to add an aerial photos they come in grey.   They import but there is no image  just grey.  I don, know if this is a setting somewhere or if it has anything to do with the trial version.  

When I add the image I go to the data source tab, go to add raster, then I configure the image (I have tried setting the classification to undefined and aerial)

Thanks for any help

Lee

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30

I think that Infraworks has an issue with really long file path structures. I copied the same model that was having issues and support files from the long directory (120 characters) to one just off the root of my c drive and now it works perfectly now. It appears to me that if the path you create the aiw model in is to long then the model cannot access the files in the TileCache directory and therefor the images can’t draw.

Message 22 of 30

what do you want to bet the "text" type database field for URI has some limitation?

Could be wrong, but I grabbed the sqlite database browser from sourgeforge and saw this (below)

I looked up the text data type from:

http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html

and saqw that there is no limit on the length. So I am likely incorrect on the length theory.

That leaves it to some kind of parsing error maybe?

sqliteDB.jpg

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 23 of 30

In case of the gray images, can you please check these 3 things for me:

1. have a look into the corresponding terrain texture folder of the model (something like "<model>.files/Resources/TerrainTextures/<SOME_GUID>/") and check if there are several *.dds files that can be opened by e.g. IrfanView,
  2. within AIW: when the gray surfaces appear, can you open the log-window (via ribbon menu "Help" then "Message Log") and check, if there are errors n there about not finding texture files.
  3. give me the full/absolute path to the "<model>.files" folder?

Thx for your support and patient!

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Message 24 of 30

Hey, 

1.  I checked out the folder and there are 4 folders with a bunch of dds files.  I don't know how to open them or if I was suppose to but they are definetly there.

2.  A bunch of error messages pop up in the message log (183 of them) that is just a few of them but they all seem to be similar to this.Capture.JPG

3.  L:\General Data\Projects\05110-80 - UBCO Parking Relocation Feasibility Plan\4-CAD\PLANNING (Conceptual Only)\INFRANWORKS\Model2\MODEL2.files

Message 25 of 30

So after further testing this problem does seem to stem from the length of the main file path.  We were able to get it working on the network by minimizing the file path but I am not sure what the exact legth needs to be.

Message 26 of 30

excellent troubleshooting guys!

This is the kind of discussion I like, where we run down the real issue.

I encourage AutoDesk to reveal as much as possible on how IW does things in the database and files folders so we can all figure things out in the future.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 27 of 30

I received word back from our corporate Technical Account Manager Major Accounts.

There definitely are issues with long paths; in particular they should not exceed the Windows standard limit of around 250 chars.

Message 28 of 30

Theses are the files paths with the one that didn't work and the one that did

Project didn’t work

L:\General Data\Projects\05110-80 - UBCO Parking Relocation Feasibility Plan\4-CAD\PLANNING (Conceptual Only)\INFRANWORKS\Model 3 (129 charaters with spaces)

Project worked

L:\General Data\Projects\05110-80 - UBCO Parking Relocation Feasibility Plan\4-CAD\IW-MODELS\SOUTHEAST (102 charaters with spaces)

Message 29 of 30

You need to add the characters in the “.Files” folder to the total path to the tile cache so for my file it is

xxxxxxxxxx_Road_032713.files\TileCache\11\2787\terrain_heightmap_11_2787_1567.dds.z

You would need to add the number of characters in this path to your root path the model. If this path is over 250 when it included the path to the tiles you will have issues.

Its not my first choice because I already have most of my drives mapped to a network drive but you could use the subst command to make a virtual directory

subst Z: L:\General Data\Projects\05110-80 - UBCO Parking Relocation Feasibility Plan\4-CAD\PLANNING (Conceptual Only)\INFRANWORKS\Model 3

this will set the z:\ to the root of your model. Not my first choice but it is a work around until this is not an issue.

Then open the model from the virtual Z:\ location.

Message 30 of 30

That is probably the case some of the the file names and folders are pretty long.  I am just going to stick to less folders to keep the charater length down.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report