Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material names on exported FBX

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1605 Views, 5 Replies

Material names on exported FBX

Hello,

Having tested Infraworks briefly, I found out that most materials on exported FBX files have simply name "Material". This causes problems with certain software, like Lumion and 3dsmax in some cases. We haven't upgraded from max 2012 so I haven't tested IW <->Max2014 link yet.

Is there any way to edit material names in infraworks?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Is there any way to edit material names in infraworks?

I guess sorry no, there is no way (currently) as IW works with styles and style-rules, the concept is different to that of rendering software like 3DS-Max is it.

That the export to FBX creates materials then is just because it's needed for defining surface-structures/colors within the FBX.

If the interface gets changed in future releases (IW to 3DS-Max) I would also like to have named objects (name-prefix like SURFACE, TREE,...), I also would like to have material names in FBX that's naming is depending from the style/rule from what it's generated.

Let's hope, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
olopez
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Please do something about this, everything is messed up

Message 4 of 6
skewbasteve
in reply to: olopez

Any update on this topic?  I'm having a hard time with this too, when I import my FBX into 3DSmax I get a LOT of material names in my scene based on the same texture.  There must be a way to consolidate the materials list based on the texture map somehow.  Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 6
ksullivanQR62D
in reply to: Anonymous

Checking in on this old thread to see if anyone has come up with a  workflow to help with this issue.  Is there an input in the style metadata that corresponds to the fbx export.  Perhaps there is a custom script within the data source configuration to create a "material" name. 

This issue destroys the ability to repeatedly link or refresh the fbx export into a realtime renderer like Lumion or Twin Motion etc, as the material name numbering get shuffled and redefined uniquely as you add new material or styles in the Infraworks model.

Message 6 of 6

@ksullivanQR62D 

I fix this by interrogating the Infraworks SQLite database and assigning materials and objects new names and materials in an ETL tool (using preset rules). If I'm going to Unreal I might then write the object metadata (or BIM attributes) with it, to the Udatasmith format.

But I agree that the way Infraworks names materials and objects is TERRIBLE.

Mesh 1, Material 1 is baffling, and I've spent untold hours renaming and working around this.

Please do this better, Autodesk...even if just for the sake of integration into your own software products....(looking at you, 3DS Max).

AEC Collection / Safe FME / ESRI ArcGIS / Unreal Engine
Digital Engineering Lead, Compulsive Problem Solver.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report