InfraWorks General

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 1 of 26 (1,445 Views)

Linework from DWG

1445 Views, 25 Replies
02-06-2013 08:38 AM

Anyone know of a way to bring linework in from a DWG?  The IMX option states "there are no valid data sources".

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 2 of 26 (1,441 Views)

Re: Linework from DWG

02-06-2013 11:57 AM in reply to: TRogers

REALLY??? Not even a "no, you can't do that?"!!

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Employee
heiko.meyerdirks
Message 3 of 26 (1,432 Views)

02-07-2013 02:48 AM in reply to: TRogers

For basic 2D DWG, you can use the the import functionality. Data Source Widget, select AutoCAD DWG.

If you use Civil you can export your DWG as IMX and bring that in. You will have more options doing that.

Heiko Meyerdirks
Engineering Manager
Autodesk IPG ICP InfraWorks
*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 4 of 26 (1,427 Views)

02-07-2013 03:36 AM in reply to: TRogers
I have tried both of those options. As I stated above, the IMX option says "there are no valid data sources". The AutoCAD DWG option will only let you specify certain entities (coverage area, buildings, etc.), this doesn't help. I nees the linework to trace over in AIM. If i don't have tje linework from the survey, then I am not going to have it drawn in the correct place.
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Distinguished Contributor
wdbar
Message 5 of 26 (1,410 Views)

02-11-2013 11:30 AM in reply to: TRogers

I ran into the same issue and ended up creating a shape file from my linework.  It's a horrible work around but for some reason the DWG connection is counter-intuitive.

Distinguished Contributor
jmaeding
Message 6 of 26 (1,405 Views)

02-11-2013 05:25 PM in reply to: TRogers

I plot the linework to pdf, then convert that to jpg.

Then line up in acad and make world file.

Then pull that image into AIM.

It sounds junky, but the cool thing is you can pull in just the area needed by limiting the area you plot.

Not a good answer though I know.

Valued Mentor
kevin.barnett
Message 7 of 26 (1,390 Views)

02-13-2013 09:07 PM in reply to: jmaeding

Strange how users around the World end up trying the same processes at more-or-less the same time. This week is quiet for me so I left C3D for a while and focused on AIM (for the second time, first time was May last year). 

I have hit this same problem. I was expecting AIM to simply read 2D polylines from a DWG and use as Coverage draped on the Terrain. For now I opted for Barrier, not pretty. I think I will need to export to SHP then use that in AIM.

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 8 of 26 (1,381 Views)

02-14-2013 05:35 AM in reply to: kevin.barnett

I needed the linework from a DWG to layout out where the actual parking lot is going to be.  Here is what I did to get a desired result...

BTW Autodesk, you need to put curbs and linework in AIM!!!

I exported my lines out to a .shp file. I attached the shapefile in AIM as pipes.  I set the pipes at a 0 elevation.  This gave the "illusion" that they were curbs.  Actually worked out pretty good.  Below is a screen shot of the result...

snapshot.jpg

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Contributor
scottkent
Message 9 of 26 (1,375 Views)

02-14-2013 06:44 AM in reply to: TRogers

Hi folks,

Dwg import is a little finicky.  You must remember that you are limited to 2d linework, with no text, hatching, dimensions, etc.  That stuff will confuse the import.  For spatial entities like boundaries, lot lines, parking lots, building outlines, water outlines, it works just fine.  Here are some tips to remember:

• When possible, convert lines to polylines (this is not required, but is a bit ‘cleaner’)
  • Verify that polylines that appear closed are actually closed (check props)
  • Avoid duplicate linework on top of each other
  • 2d only
  • When configuring in AIM, in the ‘Source’ tab, set ‘Draping Options’ to ‘Drape’, and check ON the ‘Convert closed polylines to polygons’
  • To be sure you get what you want WHERE you want it, be sure your coordinate systems are correct, or place interactively in the ‘Geo Location’ tab

Scott Kent P.E.

Senior QA Analyst II

Infrastructure Collaboration Products       

Autodesk, Inc.

100 Commercial Street

Manchester, NH  03101

Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II
Infrastructure Collaboration Products

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 10 of 26 (1,368 Views)

02-14-2013 08:34 AM in reply to: scottkent

Scott, I don't think you are understanding what is happening here.  If you "attach" an AutoCAD DWG from the Data Sources dialog, you still have to configure it.  When you are in the Configure dialog box, the program MAKES you choose a type...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

There is not an option for just linework.  My DWG is nothing but polylines.  The program MAKES you specify a type.  If you don't, the Close and Refresh button will stay grayed out.  That's why my solution to bring in pipes was the only option for actually "seeing" the linework that I need for laying out the parking lot.  Otherwise I would not be able to draw a coverage area where the parking lot islands are to be placed.

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community